First hunt on a slob

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BowHusker

First hunt on a slob

Unread postby BowHusker » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:44 am

I have been waiting since last December to get the right wind that correlated with my schedule to hunt this deer and tonight is the night! We had the cold front come through last night and the temps are in the low 30's right now.

As some of you know life has been tough for me this past year with the loss of my wife to cancer. What I haven't shared is 4 months prior to that I lost my best friend from highschool in a motorcycle accident, actually in 3 days will be a year since he's been gone.

Despite all this I was able to locate some textbook beds on 4 different points that will be utilizing the SW wind we have today. Last Friday my dad spotted this guy heading towards these beds with a very similar wind. The 4 points are probably only 150 yds apart in total so I plan to start with the farthest one and hunt it, kind of hoping to stack them.

I have a great access route to my tree that will require me to walk about .5 miles. It's a little further than I usually have to walk and I'm going well out of my in order to avoid detection. I've hunted here for about the last 10 years so I'm very familiar with the terrain and how to use it to my advantage. Almost all of it was learned through failure though lol.

This area is by far my favorite place to hunt as it has great quality of bucks and deer in general. As a matter of fact, and I'm being totally honest, in 10 years there's probably only been 5 times I've hunted here that I didn't see a deer. I've been fortunate to harvest 3 P&Y bucks with my bow and 3 with a gun.

This will be my first true beast hunt as I've never set up on an actual known bed. The wind is perfect as it will allow me to set up with a "just off" direction. I plan on getting there with plenty of time so I can go super slow in my approach and my set up, especially since I've never done a true bed hunt.

I will approach my tree fully believing he is in this first bed so that I will stay focused and try to remain as quiet as possible. Regardless how tonight goes I'm just grateful to be able to even attempt this hunt. If I've learned one thing this past year it's that life truly is precious and short and I take way too much for granted. So I will enjoy this to the fullest no matter how it plays out.

The eternal optimist in me fully expects to be successful on this hunt, whether that means setting up undetected or seeing deer or actually getting a shot or even just learning, it will be a success.

With that I'd like to leave one of my favorite quotes that I think of alot on tough days and it comes from the movie Rocky so it has some beastyness to it haha.

"Let me tell you something you probably already know. Life ain't all sunshine and rainbows...it's a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to you're knee's and keep you there if you let it. But it ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward! That's how winning is done!!"

Have a great day/weekend everyone and good luck hunting!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Last edited by BowHusker on Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

AKA "The Lone Wolf Assassin"
moog5050
500 Club

Re: First hunt on a slob

Unread postby moog5050 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:48 am

Hope you nail him. Good luck!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:54 am

Good luck bowhusker! That buck is awesome :clap:

thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:55 am

Good luck man!
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:56 am

Good luck I remember when you first posted a pic of that buck. Sounds like you are doing your homework. That's a toad!
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:13 am

Thanks for sharing and best of luck slaying the giant.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
crankn101
500 Club

Unread postby crankn101 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:18 am

Good luck!

Im working on a Neb brute as well.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:21 am

JoeRE wrote:Good luck I remember when you first posted a pic of that buck. Sounds like you are doing your homework. That's a toad!

Yes sir

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BowHusker

Unread postby BowHusker » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:23 am

JoeRE wrote:Good luck I remember when you first posted a pic of that buck. Sounds like you are doing your homework. That's a toad!

Honestly I really wish I could have done much more homework in the spring and summer but my schedule just didn't allow it. Thankfully I'm very familiar with this area and can use past experiences to help me here. There's another deer that is just as big if not bigger that I saw with this guy last December but I've never gotten a pic of him. This area has produced some absolute studs over the years and it's time I put my tag on one of them! My confidence is very high for this hunt/season, mainly because of all I have learned on here.

BowHusker

Unread postby BowHusker » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:26 am

crankn101 wrote:Good luck!

Im working on a Neb brute as well.

Good luck to you as well!! Maybe someday we can cross paths, I'm always looking for fellow beast hunter's in the area to learn from.

jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:01 am

Best of luck!

Not all those who wander are lost...
freezeAR
500 Club

Unread postby freezeAR » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:08 am

Keep your head head up and good luck closing the deal.
The Runt

Unread postby The Runt » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:16 am

SLOB is right, good luck!
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:24 am

What a BEAST!! Lots of character.

GOOD LUCK!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
bulldawgfan007

Unread postby bulldawgfan007 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:29 am

Now that's a STUD! Keep up updated and the best of luck to you brother.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”