Sitting still

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

briar
500 Club

Re: Sitting still

Unread postby briar » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:32 am

dan wrote:I get more figity when I sit to long... Short hunts I move more cautiously, slow, and precise... You need to keep your mind in the game. It really matters where your sitting though... If Im in a straight limbless lone tree 6 iches in dia. in an open area, I need to really watch my movement, if im in thick cover with a good view at in coming deer I can get away with more.

This is me. I know when I start to get to fussy its time to leave......which is probably a result of trying to be too still while I am there. Evenings work best for me because I know there is an end in sight.

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:39 am

Kraftd wrote:Kind of like other, situational. If I don't think I'll be able to her them or in really thick re where won't get a visual until they are in range try to sit more still than if I have those advantages. Also depends on if I can find a tree with good cover or not. Generally try to stay fairly still, but also don't overthink it.

Pretty much sums up my approach.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:32 am

When I use my summit viper, I made a skirt to go around it to hide my legs. So I can move around a bit in it without worry.

Being in the lW, I have to sit still and or move slow not to cause a distraction.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:39 am

Yea I move a fair bit while hunting too, but they are pretty slow measured movements. Fast head or hand movements is what gets you busted. It also pays to match your surroundings - meaning if it windy, you get away with more, and if its dead calm you probably should be too.

In our hectic modern lives, its harder than ever to sit down and just "exist" while hunting but to be good at sitting still that's the level you need to get to.

One thing I do know without a doubt - turn OFF your phones or leave them in the vehicle :lol:
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:59 am

JoeRE wrote:Yea I move a fair bit while hunting too, but they are pretty slow measured movements. Fast head or hand movements is what gets you busted. It also pays to match your surroundings - meaning if it windy, you get away with more, and if its dead calm you probably should be too.

In our hectic modern lives, its harder than ever to sit down and just "exist" while hunting but to be good at sitting still that's the level you need to get to.

[glow=red]One thing I do know without a doubt - turn OFF your phones or leave them in the vehicle :lol[/glow]:

Now your talking crazy!
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:15 am

mainebowhunter wrote:
JoeRE wrote:[glow=red]One thing I do know without a doubt - turn OFF your phones or leave them in the vehicle :lol[/glow]:

Now your talking crazy!

You want to talk crazy...I don't even have a smartphone. :shock: I do take my phone (a slider) with me (in case of emergency) but I turn if off. I take the time to enjoy the outdoors, not see who's trending on twitter LOL
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:04 am

JoeRE wrote:In our hectic modern lives, its harder than ever to sit down and just "exist" while hunting but to be good at sitting still that's the level you need to get to.

Since starting my career, this is tough for me. I always feel as if I need to be doing something or learning something. It now takes me several hunts to just decompress and relax during a hunt.

As the rut approaches and I start sitting a bunch of hours, I start reading on stand. May sound counter-productive, but besides flipping pages, I can sit motionless for hours if I'm reading. The key is to have an easy way to stash it away at the first sound of movement.
woodswalker
500 Club
Facebook: don't do face book

Unread postby woodswalker » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:40 am

When I am on stand I am always scanning the area with my eyes, I will slowly move to face a different area until I have scanned 360 degrees then repeat, my tree stands allow 360 view. It isn't moving that will blow your cover, it is quick movement. Many a deer has died while looking directly in my direction while I slowly, very slowly raised my rifle, took aim and fired. I look for horizontal lines, nature doesn't make horizontal lines but a deer's back does, also the flicking of an ear, I can't tell you how many deer I have seen because they flickered an ear and also the movement of legs. Many people look to high and deer walk right by them below their line of sight. I have talked to guys who play games on their cell phones and, text friends etc. My cell is turned off unless I have an emergency. I go hunting to hunt and I can't hunt if my eyes are on a phone or tablet screen. Eyes and ears are what show you game, not cell phones or tablets. But then again, I don't get having to be connected to someone 24/7, I am living in the wrong era.
Life is short, eat dessert first!
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:55 pm

I am sure glad I don't have to next to and hunt with some of you guys...lol.

If I had to sit like a rock for 12hrs straight slowly scanning side to side ...guess I am just not that guy. For me, reading is relaxing. All of my buddies ...we are all hunting at the same time sending pics back and forth of deer that we passed...or deer that were shot. I take a lot of photos when I am on stand. Personally? I find that very enjoyable. I don't need to go to the woods to decompress. I am just as relaxed when I enter the woods as when I entered.

Guess that is why we all hunt differently and take something different away from it.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:46 pm

ya when you sit in junky spots like me you can get away with a lot more movement :) I was doing some push ups today trying to stay warm, I was on my phone a lot. stood up multiple times, looked around.

woodswalker
500 Club
Facebook: don't do face book

Unread postby woodswalker » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:25 am

Its not that I don't stand to stretch occasionally but when I do I do it very slowly and then continue to scan. I used to watch hunters in the woods, part of my job. I cannot begin to tell you how many times I saw deer and many times multiple deer walk right by hunters on stand within 30 to 40 yards and the hunters never saw them because they were fixated in one direction. When I would tell them what I watched they would all but call me a liar. It is your eyes and ears that bring you to deer, I wonder how many are wearing ear buds while on stand and destroy one of the two abilities we have to locate deer near us.
Life is short, eat dessert first!
daveynewman
500 Club

Unread postby daveynewman » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:13 am

me personally I realize if I'm sitting I tend to move more, idk why.

if I flip my seat up and lean against the tree I rarely move. I removed the seat off my sit and climb to remove noise from getting in and out and I move less.

Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:37 pm

When I was younger I would sit for an hour, stand for an hour - all day long.

Then I got older and more stressed out - couldn't focus for 5 minutes, let alone 3 or 4 hours in a tree.

Now I have a steady job, the only stress is having too much work. I can sit all day if I want. Being a still part of the landscape is what I do. My primary movement is scanning the area since I can't hear.

No ear buds or games, but do text occasionally.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”