When do I hunt this bed?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

moog5050
500 Club

When do I hunt this bed?

Unread postby moog5050 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:22 am

We generally hunt very small parcels in upstate NY which limits beast style bed hunting so to speak. Not much public land within a few hours. Last sunday, I shot a doe on a 30 acre parcel that is primarily marsh bordered by an overgrown horse pasture. As we were tracking her through high reeds, we walked right into a very large buck bed. Its a one acre-ish area of high reeds bordered by road to the East (with a tennis club parking lot); pasture (not much and then a road) to the north; pasture to the west; and perhaps 20cres of marsh to the south.

Since we walked right into it, I am wondering how likely it is that the buck will return. Predominant wind here is SW which makes it very hard to hunt this spot for that bed. The only area to enter quietly and get in a stand is from the west. Thinking I need a N, NE or E wind and hoping the buck will use the bed on that wind (although logic says he uses it on a SW wind where he could scent the marsh blowing to his bed).

How soon would you give it a shot? Do I leave it be for a while.

We do know that there is an area to the west of the bed on the edge of the marsh where there are a fair amount of rubs. Wish we had found this bed in the spring rather than when tracking a deer last sunday.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: When do I hunt this bed?

Unread postby dan » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:27 am

I would assume he is traveling towards the rubs when there active. I would either hunt it when the rubs show up, or throw 3 stands a year at it, 1 early season, one rut, one late. I guess that may depend on how long your season is though? After a few seasons if you pay attention you should get a grasp for when to be there and when to leave it alone.
moog5050
500 Club

Re: When do I hunt this bed?

Unread postby moog5050 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:33 am

Thanks Dan. Makes sense. At this point, I am thinking we wait until rut for another sit. The rubs are in a group of trees on the edge of the pasture and marsh. Could be night time only but the bed was very large so I suspect its been used quite a bit.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”