I bumped him - now what?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Shady Grove
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/noahstokesart

I bumped him - now what?

Unread postby Shady Grove » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:36 pm

Well I got a close encounter with a great buck. I was looking along a trail for a spot to put out a camera. It is the inside corner of a creek bend, transition of hardwood bottom to planted pines (8-10 years old). Walking east, wind NE - I had gone about 80 yards - rub of a young sapling pine. Less than 20 yards ahead he burst out of cover runniing south up the hill. No blow, no flag - just bolt. I assume he was bedded but I couldn't find where is was laying. Didn't stay long. Wanted him to think his "plan" worked if he was indeed bedded down. Side note - last year hunting 100 yards southwest of this location I had a deer wind me. Never saw him but was convince it was a buck. At the time I was expecting action from the other way. Anyway back to this time. What to do? I will not be back for 3-4 weeks to this location. Would you try to get back in there midday or real early and see if he shows up? Best access is southwest so any N to NE wind works best. Could come in from the north with longer walk. Not sure where he is headed for food. Oaks all around. Plenty of browse in the young pines. No crop land. I know it's hard to say without seeing everything. But in general - what to do if you walk up a shooter? Thanks in advance for your beastly insight!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Jeff G
500 Club

Re: I bumped him - now what?

Unread postby Jeff G » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:40 pm

Hope it rains and washes your scent away fast. Haha.
I would hunt it again later on. Even if he leaves and it is great buck bedding another good buck could claim the spot.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
headgear
500 Club

Re: I bumped him - now what?

Unread postby headgear » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:57 pm

Yep if you can't make it back for a while just chill out and hunt it again when the time and wind is right. You might not know the exact bed but you have a pretty good idea is his location so get as close as you can without getting busted and good luck.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”