Gun hunting a new state

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mauser06
500 Club

Gun hunting a new state

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:25 am

If you were going to gun hunt a new state...not much time to scout..maybe a day or 2.

Where would you start...what would you look for??

I know the area...I know the terrain and habitat...

But it's foreign...

Ive never hunted a swamp...and I've never hunted lake Michigan sand dune habitat...the area is near lake Michigan and it's pretty different...the hills are to me much like old mine sites here in PA..steep buggers..shaped weird with points and fingers and stuff all over..lots of cuts and such..some are small knobs more than hills..

Big open meadows..big mature forests..

Theres also low land tammerack swamp..thick..wet...

I have ideas in mind..but wondering where some of you guys would start...

Never hurts to get outsiders perspectives...I've never hunted out of state...but there's a good chance I will have about 5 days to find a buck in Michigan...

I know the tammerack swamp can be a big buck hide out...and it's also the wintering grounds for the deer herd...I think that'd be a good focal point...

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Gun hunting a new state

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:42 am

I've never hunted that area of Michigan I'm sure there is some on here that have. Public land I would hunt the transitions in the tamarack swamp. The public near me all the high ground would have hunting pressure. We have 300,000 bowhunters and 600,000 gun hunters

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”