Difference between a hunter getting 130s bucks vs 150s bucks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bucky

Re: Difference between a hunter getting 130s bucks vs 150s b

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:52 am

150 2yr olds don't exist in wild.... 150 3yr do but are VERY rare. I'd be happier with a 130" thick headed monster as opposed to 3yr skinny racked 10pt with long tines. A 3yr deer is a nice buck.... but mature deer that you have history with is the ultimate prize in my eyes. 4yr old deer simply don't behave like 2 and 3yr olds in pressured hunting situations. But in the end.... no one really cares! Maybe for a contest or bragging rights for a yr... after that.... ehhh. U care cause you know the effort and story, to the rest of the world it is another $500 piece of dusty wall art :lol:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Rubline

Unread postby Rubline » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:18 am

Lots of great points made. I think and agree with the following. The person shooting the 150+ bucks is targeting those bucks specifically on an individual basis and may eat their tag if unsuccessful. If a buck of that caliber does not exist where they are hunting, they go find one. They are more driven as hunters and are thinking about there game plan all the time, not just 1 week before the season starts. I used to read in books what others did to achieve their goals on big bucks and it blew me away. Meeting people like Dan and listening to how their thought processes are is very intoxicating in trying to improve myself as a hunter. You must never stop learning when it comes to hunting big bucks. That is why this site and its people are so awesome!!! Great Post and Discussion.
perchsoup

Unread postby perchsoup » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:24 am

20 inches and I think for the most part in the woods I hunt, that's the same kind of animal. I haven't killed either one though.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:45 pm

In the end? Its a challenge that I thoroughly enjoy. I look forward every year traveling to the land of the giants and testing my hunting wits against some great big midwest whitetails. And I learn a lot about myself in the journey. Like I tend to underscore deer when I see them. BUT because I do underscore them, I think "well, since I underscore them, that deer must be bigger than I think" NOPE. He is a 120" 10pt.

150 or 130. Or a 100" 3.5yr old here in Maine, If it gets me excited ...I am shooting. Really try hard not to be one of those "150 or bust" or "I don't even pick my bow up for less than a 150" kind of guys. That usually comes around to bite you. In the end, its "rules" that dudes made up to measure your trophy. And guys get all bent out of shape because you say something is 130 and its really 120. Or you say buck is 130 and its really 137. Fights, arguments "how many 150s have you killed" stuff starts flying around.

I am just thankful I get to play in the game. 2 arms, 2 eyes, 2 legs and 2 ears that work.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:35 pm

You only can kill what you have access to

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Green and growing... Or red and rotting

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”