Difference between a hunter getting 130s bucks vs 150s bucks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tim
500 Club

Re: Difference between a hunter getting 130s bucks vs 150s b

Unread postby tim » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:53 am

without reading through everyones posts, id simply answer ... the score. are you hunting a score or an age class? and then theres this, an 8 a 10 a 12 are all not equal if they all score the same, they might have the same score but more than likely a 150 12 will not look as big as a 150 8 . if all things equal the guy that scores on the mature deer consistently knows their stuff. now im hunting a lot in western Wisconsin and I got 3 yr olds running around with 15o racks so I wouldn't call that as big of a feat as a mature buck with a 120 rack. but its not just that either that 3 yr old mega rack might make you come unglued quicker that the old lower scoring buck, you still have to make the shot and that's the difference a lot of the time . this is the awesome thing about hunting, no 2 bucks are created equal

Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:20 pm

DaveT1963 wrote:Location is every bit as important as hunting ability or prowess

Possibly more so. I don't think the average buck in these parts makes it to 130. 150s happen but are rare and usually a guy who gets one like that only gets one in his life

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Make It Happen
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:27 pm

Age versus score. :think: Lots of stuff to think over on this one. The difference in score on bucks that are the same age is merely luck of the draw. So a 5.5 year old buck that scores 150 compared to a 5.5 year old buck that scores 130 is mostly an unknown and unpredictable phenomenon. :think:

I have to be completely honest on this. Score trumps age as far as I am concerned. I also believe this to be true for most hunters. Even if they won't admit it, or may not even know it themselves. Very seldom if ever, does anyone ask me the age of any buck I have ever killed. :think: They ask about score, number of points, body weight but almost never age. :think:

If age were the most important factor we would consider killing an old doe just as big of accomplishment as an old buck!!! :think:
But we don't, a buck is considered a bigger accomplishment. I mean most of us don't get does mounted? Even if they are big and old. Why is this you may ask? One word "Antlers".

So when I hear guys talk about age as being the most important thing I wonder why? If it were the most important thing killing an old buck that had dropped its antlers already would be the same as if he hadn't dropped yet!!!! I'm also blaming the American Indians for starting the trophy hunting craze. When the American Indians killed a big old racked buck they had more tools, more knife handles, and more meat, than if they killed a dink buck or a doe :think:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:27 pm

I have never killed a 150. But two above 130. When I killed those 130+ class I was very happy with them. Depending on the year I could have my biggest target that's 125 or so. I guess as I grow and learn the more impressive their age is to me than score...I have the BEAST to thank for that.

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:28 pm

The original post says "130s buck vs 150" that is an antler measurement has nothing to do with age

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:28 pm

The original post says "130s buck vs 150" that is an antler measurement has nothing to do with age

Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:39 pm

Stanley I think you make great points. I would jump through the window for 150 2yr old vs a 130 6 yr old...

I think you hear about age for 2 reasons
A. because older bucks are the smartest so there is that sense of accomplishment
B. It somewhat makes makes us feel a little better about rack size, even though the score is what we really want

3 yr Olds here average about 90", so saying 3yrs vs 90" is a consolation prize lol.

Make It Happen
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:24 pm

Very good thread and read. Many good points made. I have to say big anters on a buck get my blood running, but I have to admit since really diving into age and targeting specific bucks, that age and history are closing that gap of just big antlers. My goal every year is to kill a mature buck. I don't have a score in mind. Heavy pressured public land, holds very few 150s class deer in my home state. And 130s deer are very rare as well. Most deer I see going either score, are 4.5+ and to me wrapping a tag on either of them would be a great season. I will admit, I tend to target the biggest antlers, but that usually correlates with age as well. We don't have an issue with 2.5 150s or even 2.5 130s. There isn't always a direct correlation to inches to age. Yes they tend to be bigger, but not always 130" or 150", in my home state. As said hunting a mature buck is totally different ball game. Killing any mature buck is a huge success. I think most guys put too much pressure on themselves with inches and what others think, and should instead find the joy inside of them that is hunting and continue to fuel that fire. It takes a extreme hunter to produce year in and year out. A lot is lost on the way to becoming that caliber of hunter if your not careful, jobs, relationships, etc. I personally have tried to hunt areas I know my odds are best at tagging a whitetail I'm looking for in areas that have and hold bucks of the classes we are talking about, instead of hunting areas where they are ghosts. I also can tell you the last couple years I've had to pass some bucks most years I wouldn't, to kill the target bucks I've been after. So many factors play into this: location, time, effort, drive, patience, understanding family, and some one track mind mentality. Learning how to balance that all, is more of a challenge than killing the mature buck if you ask me.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Longhaul

Unread postby Longhaul » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:34 am

Couple more points to consider.

Sometimes there is NO DIFFERENCE between the guys getting 130's and the 150's. Often they are the same person. DAN - do you have 130's and 150's?
What about you other guys that have the 150's?

My earlier comments about age were to point out that score shouldn't be the ONLY thing to consider when you are out there. Ego comes in all sizes and often should be reduced. But we all can agree to hunt for bucks that trip our literal trigger. That is what i try to do.

Another point. In actual hunting conditions it ain't always easy to tell the difference between the 130 vs 150. Some of you more experienced guys know what i'm talking about. Low light conditions, a deer showing up that you have no history with, etc.

One of the 150+ i've got i bow killed in late dececmber with snow and daylight fading. i thought i was shooting a 130's eight point. it got a lot bigger after it got deaded. And i'm pretty sure i'm not the only guy that has killed more than one that somehow "SHRUNK" a little bit after we walked up on it dead. Happens.
Even most experienced guys will tell you that field judging SCORE isn't all that easy. Judging age in the field isn't always easy either. Talking about deer that you do not have history with here. Most of the deer i hunt and shoot aren't wearing name tags.

Agree 100% that WHERE you hunt has a lot more to do with the scores for given age class of deer. YOU know if you are getting on big deer for where you are. Don't worry about keeping up with the Joneses out there. Enjoy the learning curve.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:37 am

DaveT1963 wrote:The original post says "130s buck vs 150" that is an antler measurement has nothing to do with age

Did mention that maybe I should have said age instead of score however this was only to equalize areas that don't grow big antlered deer.
I am focused on shooting a buck I would mount each season. Doesn't usually happen. As I said in another thread I don't even have great confidence of having an opportunity each time I hunt. I just enjoy being out there and observing wildlife. If I don't get a big one, it's not that big of a deal. However if I go all season and don't get at least an opportunity or the ability make a choice on a few bucks, then I feel like I have failed.
With respect to age, I think some of this comes from the TV hunters....that is what they talk about all the time now...passing 3 and 4 year olds. I think this is because most of them already have several large bucks anyway so it's not a big deal to pass a large racked 3 year old.

Obviously the number one ingredient in consistently shooting bucks 150 and above is hunting where they are in consistent numbers. Finding those kind of locations must really be the hard part.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:27 am

Longhaul wrote:Couple more points to consider.

Sometimes there is NO DIFFERENCE between the guys getting 130's and the 150's. Often they are the same person. DAN - do you have 130's and 150's?

My earlier comments about age were to point out that score shouldn't be the ONLY thing to consider when you are out there. Ego comes in all sizes and often should be reduced. But we all can agree to hunt for bucks that trip our literal trigger. That is what i try to do.

Another point. In actual hunting conditions it ain't always easy to tell the difference between the 130 vs 150. Some of you more experienced guys know what i'm talking about. Low light conditions, a deer showing up that you have no history with, etc.

One of the 150+ i've got i bow killed in late dececmber with snow and daylight fading. i thought i was shooting a 130's eight point. it got a lot bigger after it got deaded. And i'm pretty sure i'm not the only guy that has killed more than one that somehow "SHRUNK" a little bit after we walked up on it dead. Happens.
Even most experienced guys will tell you that field judging SCORE isn't all that easy. Judging age in the field isn't always easy either. Talking about deer that you do not have history with here. Most of the deer i hunt and shoot aren't wearing name tags.

Agree 100% that WHERE you hunt has a lot more to do with the scores for given age class of deer. YOU know if you are getting on big deer for where you are. Don't worry about keeping up with the Joneses out there. Enjoy the learning curve.

Great post. Been there done it. The bucks excited me. So I shot. Regardless of score. The one I shot last year. Thought he was just a super cool buck that I would like to shoot. Really did not even try to figure his score. I liked him. So I shot him. Just ended up scoring more than I thought.

Just to clarify, I am no super hunter. I have shot couple 150s but to be honest, I was waiting for a big buck...and they qualified, whether or not they scored 140 or 150. They turned my crank. So I shot them. Really never was holding out for a 150 number, just a buck that was good. They also happened to be mature. This post above, reminded me of that. I passed buck last year, thinking he was smaller. Knew he was fully mature...but short tines fooled me. He would have been touching the 150 area.

And on the other side...few years back, shot thinking I was shooting a 130, turned his head...aahh, he is narrow. I had 3 seconds. Shoot...don't shoot. SHOT. Deer scored 122" at 12" inside spread. In the end, its just not that big of a deal. In the big scheme of life, really, it does not even rate.

Great perspective.
crankn101
500 Club

Unread postby crankn101 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:02 am

My goal is an old deer with a big rack :dance:

Ill settle for an old deer with a smaller rack or a younger deer with a big rack :think:

But I could always talk myself into a young deer with a small rack... :shock:
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:29 am

Lots of interesting perspectives. Bottom line for me is I develop a target list of often 7-10 bucks scattered across some 35+ WMAs I routinely hunt. If one of them walks by then I will gladly send a Simmons his way and that can be because of his age, rack or a combination of both. Now my #1 and #2 bucks will get more stands thrown at them - but I am not passing up a smaller target animal that I put a lot of time and effort into getting. Now let me run across a nice piebald and I will gladly take him - age and rack be darned. Its all about managing expectations and setting goals. truth is, some of my most enjoyable hunts each year are quick afternoon hunts for does.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:31 am

whitetailassasin wrote:Very good thread and read. Many good points made. I have to say big anters on a buck get my blood running, but I have to admit since really diving into age and targeting specific bucks, that age and history are closing that gap of just big antlers. My goal every year is to kill a mature buck. I don't have a score in mind. Heavy pressured public land, holds very few 150s class deer in my home state. And 130s deer are very rare as well. Most deer I see going either score, are 4.5+ and to me wrapping a tag on either of them would be a great season. I will admit, I tend to target the biggest antlers, but that usually correlates with age as well. We don't have an issue with 2.5 150s or even 2.5 130s. There isn't always a direct correlation to inches to age. Yes they tend to be bigger, but not always 130" or 150", in my home state. As said hunting a mature buck is totally different ball game. Killing any mature buck is a huge success. I think most guys put too much pressure on themselves with inches and what others think, and should instead find the joy inside of them that is hunting and continue to fuel that fire. It takes a extreme hunter to produce year in and year out. A lot is lost on the way to becoming that caliber of hunter if your not careful, jobs, relationships, etc. I personally have tried to hunt areas I know my odds are best at tagging a whitetail I'm looking for in areas that have and hold bucks of the classes we are talking about, instead of hunting areas where they are ghosts. I also can tell you the last couple years I've had to pass some bucks most years I wouldn't, to kill the target bucks I've been after. So many factors play into this: location, time, effort, drive, patience, understanding family, and some one track mind mentality. Learning how to balance that all, is more of a challenge than killing the mature buck if you ask me.

Great post for sure. A 150 inch buck often means much more to those that haven't killed one than those that have killed one. Some hunters live in areas that they will never kill a 150. I know hundreds of hunters that live in big buck states that have never killed a 150. :think:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:46 am

Longhaul wrote:Couple more points to consider.

I agree great post. I have been many tracking jobs and seen quite a few 150 bucks reduce down to a 130 when they are found. I never pay too much attention to all the 150 sightings I hear guys talk about.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”