Tree Strap

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

Tree Strap

Unread postby Jrichard » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:20 am

After reading the long thread of tree stand mishaps and falls I had a question. Do all of you who use safety harnesses and systems prefer one type of tree strap over another? Do you like the Tree strap rope or the thin strap with the buckle?

I have been using the rope style. And it is SO much easier to use than the flat strap. The flat strap tends to fold over in the buckle and it is more hassle to get it out. The rope you just slide down loosen and move up the tree and tighten again. It just seems like it would not be as strong if you fell as the flat strap.

Has anyone taken a fall with a rope style tree strap? I weigh about 230 lbs. Any suggestions? haha.

tgreeno
500 Club

Re: Tree Strap

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:27 am

I use a rope style with a prusik knot that doubles as my linemens belt. I've never taken a fall with it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:37 am

I too use the HSS rope tether and an HSS safety harness. I also carry a couple of Cranford folding steps in case in have a need for them.

Never skimp on safety equipment you may depend on for your life. No deer is worth anyone's life.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:47 am

tgreeno wrote:I use a rope style with a prusik knot that doubles as my linemens belt. I've never taken a fall with it.

Same here. I use two of them...one for linesman belt and the other for my upper tree strap. That way I am always connected.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:51 am

I make my own out of arborist rope or 9mm Samson ultratek rope and a ropeman 1
Joe68
500 Club
Facebook: Don't believe in facebook

Unread postby Joe68 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:03 am

Right now I used the tree strap with the buckle and I don't really care for it. It is clumsy and no matter how slow I go putting it on the tree it still seams to make noise. Dave T do you have any how to's on how you made yours? Or any good suggestion on where to look? It would be helpful. I was thinking about this last night as I climbed my tree and tied off. I haven't really looked much into making one yet I am sure there is a bunch of stuff out there. I just have to look.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:08 am

go over to saddle hunter dot com there is a plethora of info on tree tethers :) It is basically a rope with both ends tied with a figure eight knot and a ropeman1 in between to act as a prussic
Joe68
500 Club

Unread postby Joe68 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:35 am

Ok. Thanks a bunch.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Joe68
500 Club

Unread postby Joe68 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:49 am

Ok. Thanks a bunch.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Whitetailhunter63

Unread postby Whitetailhunter63 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:21 am

I used to use the thin strap with the buckle and just this year switched to the rope style strap. I find that the rope is by far easier and much quicker to climb with when i use either my hang on or my summit climber. I've never thought to use it as a linemans belt though, I just use the linemans belt that came with my xop stand

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”