What's in your pack?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BowHusker

What's in your pack?

Unread postby BowHusker » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:08 am

I am curious what some of you fellow beast members bring out to the stand with you when hunting beds. I think it would be neat to kind of compare and contrast what different ppl bring as I'm sure there are things I don't have in mine but should.

Actually, maybe I need to start first with just bringing a backpack with me lol. I've always gone in as light as possible and just didn't need that much in stand because they were all pre-set stands. Bed hunting on public is different though, and it puts me alot farther off the beaten trail than my private land hunts. Just curious what you guys deem as a "must have" in your packs.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

AKA "The Lone Wolf Assassin"
bwwma

Re: What's in your pack?

Unread postby bwwma » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:42 am

I used to take a pack with everything I may ever need, it weighed as much or more than my treestand. Nowadays I take milkweed, compass, map, knife and a pistol.... and sometimes a grunt call. I decided I'm going to kill not camp.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:49 am

Small fanny pack, if it doesn't fit it doesn't come with.

release
milkweed
knife
gut gloves
tags
range finder
grunt tube
bow rope
compass
lighter
phone
2 lights
extra batteries

That about does it.
BowHusker

Unread postby BowHusker » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:58 am

Great call on the fanny pack, I was going to take a small backpack and strap it to my stand. A funny pack will be much more functional.

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:07 am

I've been thinking about a small pack (fanny size) that gets attached right to my stand and stays there, some thing near the post so its not in the way of my feet but also allows me to fold up the stand without having to remove it and re-attach it each time. Probably have to be custom made but I don't think I have the skills. :mrgreen:
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:36 am

I use a little bear fanny pack.

Pull rope
Slings
TP
Rangefinder
Milkweed
Gloves - extra clothes as needed
Knife

Thermacell stay strapped to the seat of my stand or in the pack if I'm saddle hunting.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:26 am

I always have my release, knife, phone & milkweed in my pants pockets. strap my jacket to my stand & sticks. I also only carry a small fanny pack and in there.

Bow rope
range finder
flashlight
mini-bino's
compass
Hawk xtendible bow arm (very light)
grunt tube during rut.
Last edited by tgreeno on Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:40 am

My pack has everything I need to hunt and is always ready in back seat of truck. I can literally pull up from work and be ready to hunt in 5 minutes. I grab the pack, put on my boots, grab 3 sticks and my bow and I am off. Sometimes I will dress at truck and put on my ASAT suit, saddle (with all its tools in pouches) and my knee pads.... sometimes I walk to 100 yards of tree and then dress. But everything I need is always packed and ready. With this set up I can also scout and prep trees for an impromptu evening hunt. Total weight for everything (boots, sticks, bow and pack) is under 20#s

Daypack (Kathy Kelly Fleece Ultimate Pack)
- ASAT 3D suit and facemask
- Small platform (optional I can hunt off top of stick in some trees - see my video on Youtube)
- Saddle (bridge, t screw, bow hanger, pruners, Tree rope & Lineman’s belt)
- shooting glove
- milkweed in coin purse
- grunt call
- water (you are not hunting down here without it, man up and carry it)
- Pull rope
- head lamp
- small plastic bag with wet wipes
- sm vortex binoculars (a tool I would not go into the woods without)
- license holder
- field dressing kit (also a video on youtube 3 oz and will field dress any deer out in the woods)
- toilet paper
- tacks (in case I want to mark a new tree for a future morning hunt)
- sd card (I often check a camera after a morning hunt)
- sm flashlite
- sm notebook (I would not ever think about not having this as my memory is not as good as it once was).
- pen
- cell phone

I can add additional items as needed for changing conditions/locations but the above goes with me just about every hunt
BowHusker

Unread postby BowHusker » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:12 am

Thanks for all the responses. Dave, what is you're YouTube channel, I'd like to see you're vids.

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:54 am

<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:10 am

I just subscribed Dave, I didn't know you had channel thanks.
If I cant get my stuff in my bib pockets it stays. I want a safety harness vest style w pockets for the future.
*Water
*Milkweed
*Phone
*Chew
*Headlamp
*Knife
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:21 am

Darkknight54 wrote:I just subscribed Dave, [glow=red]I didn't know you had channel thanks[/glow].
If I cant get my stuff in my bib pockets it stays. I want a safety harness vest style w pockets for the future.
*Water
*Milkweed
*Phone
*Chew
*Headlamp
*Knife

I never thought I would - had so many questions and I hate typing.... seemed video would be easier but I have no fancy dancy stuff just a Droid phone and a desire to show others what works for me :)
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:49 am

My current pack is a trout fishing vest.

The many little pockets with velcro have basics like lighter, whistle. Then my essential used items go into the zippered pockets. Rangefinder, climbing ropes, LW EZ hang strap for bow(with spare screw in attached to climbing harness), headlamp X2, space blanket in original packaging. A 3 inch mini saw that convinces me to trim less but can get it done with less weight than pruners.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:53 am

I'm a pack mule compared to you guys, but my pack changes by the season. I couldn't get away with a fanny early season simply due to the amount of water I carry. Minimum 4 bottles of water usually 6. Always have 2 thermocell. A knife, GPS, compass, 2 headlamps, paracord, small first aid kit, TP, Binos, food if all day sit, small snack bars if less, deer drag, gut gloves, frog toggs if rain forcasted, Emergency poncho if not. Maybe a grunt. Limb saw, prunners. One of these days I should weight my early season pack, but really don't want to know.

Tuf- The below average hunting beast
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:37 am

Tufrthnails wrote:I'm a pack mule compared to you guys, but my pack changes by the season. I couldn't get away with a fanny early season simply due to the amount of water I carry. Minimum 4 bottles of water usually 6. Always have 2 thermocell. A knife, GPS, compass, 2 headlamps, paracord, small first aid kit, TP, Binos, food if all day sit, small snack bars if less, deer drag, gut gloves, frog toggs if rain forcasted, Emergency poncho if not. Maybe a grunt. Limb saw, prunners. One of these days I should weight my early season pack, but really don't want to know.

My rut setup weighs 35lb, you have to be pushing some serious weight man.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”