2nd Bow Season Reports

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

2nd Bow Season Reports

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:29 pm

How many unfilled tags left, guys?

I have a buck tag and was out tonight again, on the ground.

I've mentioned this before and some disagree, but this is how I do it 2nd season. Place a little corn and a camera over it and try and track a buck back closer to where he beds. Well went in to hunt this "stand" and couldn't believe the deer tracks. Checked the camera and deer are showing all times of the day.....shocker for me, about a 90% daytime vs 10% night time pictures.

Last weekend tracked a buck only about 400 yards trying to pin point his bedding area and hit a private property line. Plan tonight was to sit pretty close to the line before checking the camera. Was afraid with the wind that couldn't decide south, south west or west that the does would come to the camera would scent me further "in" and blow all night.

I thought oh well with all the daylight movement settled in on my little portable chair.

Seen 4 does 3 adults and 1 fawn after about an hour in, say around 2:30pm. Cool seeing them on the ground. We only can have (2) gallons of corn out legally and I didn't even have that much with me, so I throw it around in a pretty good area. Those 4 does stuck around for quite awhile. One good sized one worked her way within 7 yards of me. Never knew I was there. Pretty cool on the ground counting their whiskers.

Right before quiting time, which is like 4:35pm, all the does snapped their heads back and looked in the direction, somewhat I expected the buck to come from. Only took 30 seconds and could see the movement. Knew it was a buck right away by the way they were acting. Before the buck broke cover all the does trotted off where I couldn't see them. Out he walked....a nice little 6 pointer.

He was small racked....maybe, a 2.5 year old up here, but could have been a good looking 1.5 year old. Either way he was getting a pass here. All cameras out are on the fritz, don't know what is going on, but this one is my best camera and it hadn't captured this buck yet. Closest he worked was about 15 yards but took a pass on him. Didn't take long to hit closing time so put the bow in the case as the 6 kept on munching away. When he finally left I slowly eased out of the area.

Spot might be shot for the year backtracking that bigger buck last weekend.....but it was in that monster snow storm, hope not. Don't know what I'm going to do, have another area with a bigger 6 or 8 but he probably is only a 2.5. Another spot I found that looks promising may get the sit tomorrow night. Time is running out.

Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Re: 2nd Bow Season Reports

Unread postby Dor » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:37 pm

Very tough day for me. Struggled to find deer or sign. Try again tommorrrow. :)

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:22 pm

Tuff for me too. We have a good sized standing corn field on public that's not ez to get to. The deer were hammering it in the fall. Sounds like money in the bank right? Well that's what I thought. I had great conditions to stalk through that field on Friday. I was pumped. Well, not one deer track. WTF? The only think I can think of is that the deer do not wanna cross the frozen river. The beeding areas where 90% of the bedding is taking place is on the opposite side of the river. I walked across the river w/o probs. There is plenty of corn left in the field too. I guess I thought hunger would override their apprehension to cross a frozen river, guess not. Has anyone seen or heard of deer not wanting to cross on ice? I've seen them do it b4 but thats after they were getting shot at during deer drives.
Gardner Swamp
500 Club

Unread postby Gardner Swamp » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:37 pm

Hodag I like your late season idea on putting out some food and then tracking back to the bed :D
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:27 pm

i was out tonight and had alot of chasing going on..alot of 2 yr old bucks where chasing the fawns around..a little bit of sparing and few grunts and even a snort wheeze tonight..was pretty cool to see all of it
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:30 pm

All I got today was cold!! :oops:
Hunted a point on a island in a large cattail marsh. The wind was hitting me in the tree after coming across 5 miles of cattails. That was the coldest 15 degrees I can remember in awhile. There was plenty of deer sign everywhere and lots of big tracks and most importantly I never crossed another hunters tracks anywhere today.
Surprised I didn't see anything but tommorow is another day and I like to think that puts me one more day closer to scoring on a slob buck. ;)
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:25 am

Didn't see this thread and posted in the old season reports thread...
I saw a lot of tracks yesterday...And thats about all, boy was it cold out.
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:39 am

Not home from school yet, but when I go back later this week I will give it a final shot or two. I still have unfilled tags for WI, so if I see something, I won't be selective and will probably shoot. Almost out of venison anyway.

Only problem is, the spot I'd like to hunt is set up nice for a SW wind on an evening hunt. Well, it's going to be NNW, N, or NNE every day that I'm home before I leave the country. Which means I'm most likely looking at a morning hunt. There's a spot where I know the deer bed. They feed in a private field, then walk north through 1/2 a mile of open cattails, cross a small river, and bed in brush just on the other side.

I've got a spot picked out on the aerial. I can set a wooden ladder up on the south shore in the tall cattails. It would give me a shot at 4 trails crossing the ice, set me up 20 yards from where I've found one bed before, and give me shots towards some short cattails to the south. And if they come in before light, well, maybe I can put a stalk on since I will probably see them bed.

Has anyone seen or heard of deer not wanting to cross on ice?

This particular spot they have to cross the ice to get to their beds. Although, the river is only like 10 feet wide and 2 feet deep there.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:01 pm

I've got one tag left yet. Oh wait, that's all they give out In my area anyway. :x I can't say I haven't had my chances as I've passed up 3 different 3.5 year old bucks this year and possibly a 4.5 (not sure If he's 3.5 or older). Usually If I'm still with out a good buck I'll wait till the last 4 to 5 days of the season which ends December 31st and take the 1st doe that gives me a good quality shot. This year might be different though as we've gotten well over 2 feet of snow the last 10 days In which allot of the deer have left the property going elsewhere where there's food. Not many bedding here at all anymore so I might take a doe sooner or maybe even check out some new property If this guy will give me permission. This new property Is a 40 or so acre woods that's surrounded by at least 100 acres of corn that's still In. Hope he lets me go In there, at least to shed hunt anyway. There's one buck In the woods I hunt that I may take that I've let go twice before. He's the buck I'm not sure on his age. He's all of 180 pounds dressed right now as I saw him yesterday at about 30 yards. Earlier this year during the pre rut (mid to late October) he was pushing 220 pounds dressed I bet. He may get an arrow this time If he gets closer then the 30 yards he was at yesterday. Time will tell I guess. To be honest I'd rather not shoot him as he'll make buck hunting next year that much better as far as competition with other bucks goes. His rack Isn't nothing to get excited about, 110 to 115 Inches at best. Not so good genes In this guy. I hope he don't walk In front of me. ;)
Pininsula 2010 Buck Scrape 427.jpg
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:18 pm

Good looking buck Shultzy. Up to you though.

Walked and walked and walked some more today. Finally remember why I left this area 2 years ago to start hunting a little further south. :roll: At least it was a good work out, need all the exercise I can get. :lol:

The "6" I let go Sat night, after checking the camera today, turns out he is a 4 pointer with about a 13" spread. No brow tines that I assumed. Have two other areas to check next weekend....if these don't pan out she's going to be a tough year. Can't even shoot a doe as it is buck only up here.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:25 pm

I really enjoy your post's here on the Beast Hodag. Your one of my favorites on here, pulling for ya bud!! Good luck!! On a side note, got myself a car kill the other night. It was this guys 3rd deer he's hit this year. Man what a moron he was. I got something out of It though. :D
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:34 pm

Thanks for the words of encouragemnt Shultzy. I'm keeping my chin up until the fat lady sings.
3dog

Unread postby 3dog » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:25 am

I put the bow away for the year, something about when I get that gun in my hands I can't seem to set it down. But I have been doing a share of scouting (between trips on the ice) getting things laid out for late rifle. Things are looing pretty good, I've got 5 acres of corn, beans and fall oats that are getting hit fairly hard. I'd say I've got a dozen deer using up there and at least two good bucks. Driving around the deer are really starting to show themselves with all the tracks left in the fields. Have a half dozen other areas that should produce, looks like I'll have enough to keep me going without burning anything out.

Sounds like you had a great hunt Hodag, yeah it's so cool when you get em close on the ground. I tip my hat to all the guys out there bow hunting, that's tuff stuff in the winter...
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:10 pm

got myself a car kill the other night. It was this guys 3rd deer he's hit this year. Man what a moron he was.

Some guys just can't catch a break :lol:

I too am still at it froze my off this weekend. Saw my share of does. Saturday spooked 3 and saw 2 more right at closing time. Hunted a buddies farm we barely hunt because he is out of state at school and though I could go hunt it on my own I hate to overdue it and push the limits on my welcome. Anyhow moved down to the ground in the brush where I always see deer pass. Sure enough does came out as planned but they knew something was up and passed behind my brush pile, upwind, but behind me. I was on the corner of the field in a small tangle of brush and they walked the outside of edge of it 10ft away from me but my only shooting window was in front of me. Pretty neat when they breathe in your ear. :shock:

Up north we use your style as well hodag. Grandpa has been putting out a kemps ice cream pale of corn when he's up there and checking the trailcam. We know the bucks and we know they are bedding in the neighbors swamp. Last check of the camera showed them out mid morning 45 mins after he dumped the corn. I plan to back track and hunt the property line the last weekend of season.

Good luck all shoot straight and stay warm.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:17 pm

Go get 'em Backwoods. Let us know when you get on.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”