2nd Bow Season Reports

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

deerman69

Re: 2nd Bow Season Reports

Unread postby deerman69 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:19 am

Well I'm done. I'm in a buck only unit this year and I've been seeing 10- 20 doe's & fawns per sit. The buck that I was hunting since opening of early bow, dropped his right side on xmass day. I saw him this morning and he still had his left side but I just couldn't shoot him. I guess there is always next season. I just hope that I can shoot some doe's next season. I'm sure the food pantries are going to be hurting this year. deerman

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:09 pm

Has anyone been out recently? I picked up my new bow monday, I don't want to put it down. I shot til my shoulders started to burn on monday. Got it dialed in and went back to the range yesterday and already "robin-hooded" an arrow. The guys at the range thought it was pretty cool I was just mad...at 80 bucks for a half dozen I'd rather be inaccurate. The highlight of my week above and beyond that is that I just got permission for a 2 day bowhunt in Pewaukee (south east WI) on an AWESOME private farm basically in the city. The guy let me turkey hunt it last spring. And the bowseason gets some pressure but no one hunts the late season so he's givin me free range a couple days next week. Hopefully the rain doesn't wipe out all the snow and I can set up on a big old city buck. Good luck everyone that's still out there with unfilled tags.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:32 pm

Sounds like an awesome opportunity BackWoodsHunter!
Hope you connect with a slob and break in your new bow right!
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:54 pm

all the posts from today got erased BUT I will repost a jist of mine. I received access to hunt 2 days (yesterday and today) on a private 73 acre farm on the Fox River in pewaukee WI. With Dans help (it can be found in the scouting section) I was directed to a bedding area. Curiosity got the best of me last night and I snuck in too close and busted a lone deer out of there. I got to within 20yards of it but neither of us knew the other was there til I broke that twig. Anyhow that was the north end of the bedding area and the only spot on the farm with fresh sign besides the property owners driveway. So I hung my LW and sat til dark saw nothing. Left my LW out overnight went back and hunted it this morning. Saw no deer but more fresh tracks going into the thick stuff and some deer droppings under my stand that weren't there yesterday. No deer seen and all fresh sign was going past my stand into the thick bedding area again. South of the bedding area is a field up on a ridge and the bedding area is along the fox river. A strip of brush/swamp runs along the field edge up to the owners house and his driveway. The deer use his driveway to cross the river rather than swim. On my way out this morning I noticed all the fresh tracks on the bridge went into the swamp/brush leading to the bedding area I hunted north of last night and this AM. I went back this afternoon and hunted the south end of the bedding area seeing as how all the tracks I saw from the south were going in there and all the tracks from the north were going in there. I thought they'd leave to the south and cross the bridge but they never did. All I saw were ducks and a possum.

LONG STORY short I got 3 sits on this farm in 2 days and saw one deer I jumped from its bed. It was bedded almost exactly where Dan said it would be. Pretty neat stuff has me yearning to learn more.
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:33 pm

Headed to allamakee and clayton county IA this coming weekend. supposed to be very cold. Hopefully not a pile of snow there. Have a full mile and a half walk into where we want to be on some public ground. Hoping for the best! Last trip of the year,kinda bittersweet.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:24 pm

On our private land in Oneida County we had a pair of 9pointers coming in to the camera religiously but not anymore. It would appear a pair of "large" deer still come in together and one is clearly a shed buck. Needless to say our bucks have shed and we are in a No Doe unit so I'm hanging up the bow for the season. I might squeeze in one hunt on a private farm in the metro unit this upcoming week other than that I am all done until spring. Now its time for coyotes, tree planting, food plots and target shooting....either way I am very sad today.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:47 pm

That's too bad about your bucks Back Woods. I checked one camera and will check the others tomorrow. It's a close walk...but it was cold. One buck still showing.....i don't know yet if I'll shoot him.

I'm sitting somewhere regardless Sat and Sun evening........I'm not ending the season on the ice or worse yet on the couch watching the Packers.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:19 pm

Hodag Hunter wrote: I'm sitting somewhere regardless Sat and Sun evening........I'm not ending the season on the ice or worse yet on the couch watching the Packers.

Good luck Hodag. I will be out there as well. Don't give up...nothing would be more satisfying than a last minute kill!! 8-)
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:21 pm

Seen three tonight, all does. But I do have some good news....checking one of my cameras(different spot than tonight) had four bucks in one day show with 3 being new bucks along with (2) being shooters, for me. Here's the kicker they all came in the same day between 8:30 and 10:00am, yes broad daylight in the morning. :o

All only stuck around for 2-3 minutes and bugged out, in different directions. I thought maybe a late hot doe, but who knows. The wind will be right for this spot tomorrow, kind of, plan on sitting on the ground in snow camo because of poor tree choices.

The two biggest bucks (they're not monsters but good enough for me) came together and the other two were single shows. What would make these deer move all on the same day and show with-in 1.5 hours of each other? Either way Sunday is the last day and I'm heading in early in the morning. Maybe luck will be on my side.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:31 pm

What date did those bucks come past your camera Hodag?
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:59 pm

dan wrote:What date did those bucks come past your camera Hodag?

1-3-11.

Didn't mention on the other post had some big yotes or wolf show the day after or following day. Didn't see tracks when walking in this morning but will look a little closer to try and confirm if yote or wolf.

Deer sightings took a nose dive after they came thru. A few does keep coming in daylight so the coast must be clear. :)

I'll post pictures of all next week.....way to slow using the phone as a modem here in Rhinelander.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:00 am

1-3-11 the peak moon phase was 11:32 AM (WAS 10:36 AM the day before)
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:57 am

Fat lady sang....finished for the year and didn't get to hunt tonight. Minor emergency at home(greenville) and started heading home around noon.

Sat the stand this morning with the buck pictures and seen a doe and fawn mid morning. Came out about 11:00am for a break and got the call and had to head home. Oh well, family is first and everything is fine now.

Camera is in place yet and will be sick if any of the better bucks showed this afternoon.

2010 hunt is over and 2011 preporation starts next weekend.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:19 pm

That's a shame Hodag my season in the northwoods is all wrapped up as well. Grandpa heads out to Arizona for the winter on Tuesday and the dealings with the family land are still all up in the air :shock: Assuming we hang on to a piece of it I'll be up there in april planting trees and and food plots and preparing my stand trees for mobile hunting. Until then I'm scouting, fishing and chasing predators. School starts next week again but I'm headin to Ogema thursday to chase yotes ;)
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:12 pm

Heading out tomorrow for my final hunt of the season with my bow. I have permission on the same farm I hunted last week in the metro unit. The wind is the same as it was and I suspect the deer, based on sign last week, to be bedded in the same spot. I have employed my wonderful girlfriend as a driver to push the deer to me ideally. I attached a picture of the plan. I access the property south by the yellow dot (the farm house)
Red DOT-is where I will set up my stand
The orange path is where she will be walking.
The Dark Green line on the field is a high ridge.
The Blue Dot is where they are bedded and pink is the arrows for the wind.

My gf will follow the orange path keeping her downwind and totally out of sight from the deer as she approaches from the south and east. On the back side of the ridge at the top of the field is thick brush going down to the fox river. They bed on that ridge I think if she pushes through there the deer should come scooting out the south past my stand. When the deer head south they will either have to cross the river on the bridge that is the driveway or cut back into the property. With fresh snow we should be able to follow them and get on them if they bed down again. Hopefully I'll get a crack at them without all the rest of the screwing around.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”