2nd Bow Season Reports

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Re: 2nd Bow Season Reports

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:51 pm

Executed the hunt and drive with the girlfriend today. She was the driver/pusher of the deer but apparently got confused. She ended up pushing through the right area but there were no deer in it. We hunted towards the tail end of the snow we recieved today in SE WI. We scouted the property after the one drive. I came across FRESH tracks and beds...there was no snow in the beds and the tracks leading up to them had a dusting in them. The tracks leaving were extremely fresh. It wouldn't appear that we jumped the deer as they were all walking tracks. We tracked them to the an abandoned rail road track that crosses the fox river and is the north boundary of the property. Oddly enough the deer crossed the river through the water rather than on the bridge. Anyhow we followed the railroad bed and the deer eventually crossed it into the neighbors property.

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:53 pm

My bow season is officially over. I'll be chasing coyotes this weekend and ice fishing until the ice melts and my food plot and tree planting can begin in April/May. Between now and then I'll be doing alot of scouting as well. I hope to lock down a handful of good buck bedding areas on public land.
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:04 am

best of luck BackWoodsHunter
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:11 am

Great effort Backwoods, thanks for the update.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:18 am

Thanks for the support guys. Though I didn't kill a deer this year my season was full of highs. Dad opened a failing hardware store and he got out with me and gramps and the bow this year, grandpa killed his first deer ever with a bow and most of all I went into every hunt with a different attitude and thought process than in years past. I feel that I observed the animal behavior from a different perspective and rather than accepting things for the way they were I pushed myself to figure out WHY. A few seasons of hunting like this as well as mobile and I think I'll be on top. I have lofty goals for the future of my hunting career and I'll get there.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”