Buck bedding weather tendencies

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Buck bedding weather tendencies

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun May 14, 2017 9:32 am

JoeRE wrote:I do see more bedding under cedar trees when its really hot. Much cooler under there. Contrary to popular opinion cedars, if you have them around, are not good bedding in cold weather, its actually colder underneath them. Deer DO hang around them in cold weather because of the browse and also might bed BEHIND them as a wind break but cold weather bedding directly under them isn't great.

Not sure, but I think Joe might be referring to a specific circumstance and some red cedar trees.

There is no finer thermal protection (protection from the cold, wind or a combination of the two) for a whitetail than bedding under mature white cedar trees. Again, this is referring to true cold as we see in the northern states and Canada. This includes fall hunting seasons and not just winter.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sun May 14, 2017 12:27 pm

Yea SB I am referring to red cedar. Grant Woods has talked about how patches of red cedar have been shown to be colder than surrounding areas, not warmer as popular opinion would suggest. This is due to red cedar choking out everything else close to the ground and when you get down at deer level, around 3', its extremely open.

There are definitely differences type of cedar and in the habitat you are observing and what I hunt but would not say my situation is a special circumstance. Red cedars are common all across the midwest. I used to think red cedars were great winter habitat too, until listening to Dr. Woods and then observing exactly what the deer were doing around those red cedar in the winter. They are not bedding "in" them in cold weather. They were wandering through them browsing when the snow got deep and no better food was available, and sometimes bedding on the downwind side for short periods in very bad weather, but the bedding was more often in better habitat - stands of young growth that allows the sun to reach the ground and/or southerly facing slopes. What I have noticed is red cedars actually are getting the most use in HOT weather, makes sense now but I was amazed when I realized that.

This is an old video where Grant Woods discusses the topic - around 4:30. http://www.growingdeer.tv/archive/category/habitat-management/cover#/winter-cover-for-deer He has discussed it in more recent videos too.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun May 14, 2017 2:27 pm

You confirmed my suspicion and that is excellent information. I would suggest more specification to avoid confusion, as simply stating "cedar" is at least somewhat confusing across the reach of this forum. I always enjoy your posts.

Bridge
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sun May 14, 2017 6:46 pm

JoeRE wrote:Heat is one weather condition I am looking more closely at. I think deer seek out deep shade and cooler north slopes around here when it's hot - usually lines up being leeward with a warm south wind. I haven't really found what I think is a specific "hot weather buck bed" yet - more than just close to water - but its something I am wondering about.

This is also what I see regarding warmer temps.
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sun May 14, 2017 7:24 pm

JoeRE wrote:Yea SB I am referring to red cedar. Grant Woods has talked about how patches of red cedar have been shown to be colder than surrounding areas, not warmer as popular opinion would suggest. This is due to red cedar choking out everything else close to the ground and when you get down at deer level, around 3', its extremely open.

There are definitely differences type of cedar and in the habitat you are observing and what I hunt but would not say my situation is a special circumstance. Red cedars are common all across the midwest. I used to think red cedars were great winter habitat too, until listening to Dr. Woods and then observing exactly what the deer were doing around those red cedar in the winter. They are not bedding "in" them in cold weather. They were wandering through them browsing when the snow got deep and no better food was available, and sometimes bedding on the downwind side for short periods in very bad weather, but the bedding was more often in better habitat - stands of young growth that allows the sun to reach the ground and/or southerly facing slopes. What I have noticed is red cedars actually are getting the most use in HOT weather, makes sense now but I was amazed when I realized that.

This is an old video where Grant Woods discusses the topic - around 4:30. http://www.growingdeer.tv/archive/category/habitat-management/cover#/winter-cover-for-deer He has discussed it in more recent videos too.

We have some areas where Eastern red cedars grow along creeks down here in the South. These areas are typically 10+ degrees cooler on average. The deer seem to bed on the transition into hardwoods. The cedar doesn't provide the cover, but the transition is cooler than bedding in the hardwoods. They seem to get the best of both worlds if that makes sense.
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sun May 14, 2017 7:25 pm

I've always noticed more trail cam activity in the pines during wet/windy conditions.
Aaron1987
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/aaron.warbritton.3

Unread postby Aaron1987 » Mon May 15, 2017 3:09 am

JoeRE wrote:I do see more bedding under cedar trees when its really hot. Much cooler under there. Contrary to popular opinion cedars, if you have them around, are not good bedding in cold weather, its actually colder underneath them. Deer DO hang around them in cold weather because of the browse and also might bed BEHIND them as a wind break but cold weather bedding directly under them isn't great.

Joe we actually filmed a couple bucks last week while turkey hunting that were bedded IN the creek. Not in the water but right up against it. We do a fair amount of summer scouting and on hot days there are always deer bedded next to the water. Creeks or ponds surrounded by timber that provide shade are the best. That damp sand creek bank is cooler than anywhere else on those days. Something to keep in mind when hunting hot days early season I suppose.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon May 15, 2017 6:09 am

AaronMW wrote:

Joe we actually filmed a couple bucks last week while turkey hunting that were bedded IN the creek. Not in the water but right up against it. We do a fair amount of summer scouting and on hot days there are always deer bedded next to the water. Creeks or ponds surrounded by timber that provide shade are the best. That damp sand creek bank is cooler than anywhere else on those days. Something to keep in mind when hunting hot days early season I suppose.

Yea that is one of those things I have started to notice too. I remember someone else taking about it recently too - I think it was Adam with GrowingDeerTV in this episode. Image I also find them bedding down low at the bottom of thick cover north slopes (not at the military crest) on hot summer days - its often the coolest/shadiest spot there is in big hills. I know from walking through those spots it might be 10+ degrees cooler.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”