How does a buck enter the bed in a.m.? Straight in from down

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tom_Schramm

How does a buck enter the bed in a.m.? Straight in from down

Unread postby Tom_Schramm » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:24 pm

Hi all, I'm new to The Beast. I watched several of the videos and listened to the podcasts. I found a buck bed and did not quite know the details on how the buck will enter it? I assume it will quarter into wind, but I did not know if it would go straight in, or far away scent checking and attempt to "J-Hook"? Do you guys have any advice on how to set up? Thank you, Tom.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

<DK>
500 Club

Re: How does a buck enter the bed in a.m.? Straight in from

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:15 am

Welcome to the Beast!
Here is a link to Best Tactical Threads, all this info will save years in a stand - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24471
Be sure to check out the store and get the dvds they are worth every penny. They have map examples, off season scouting, then in season setups. Since are particularly intrigued w the morning bed hunting, you need to hear from Andrea on the dvds.

Bucks dont do anything always, however they do scent check a bed before entering. Every buck is different but in general yes they will come in from below/down wind. I see the terrain differences changing these tendencies. If he is up wind he may walk around the area then do the J hook but in general once he hits spot directly down wind of the bed he will bee line to it. This can vary in distance could be 50-100 yards or more. Before I found Dan, i remember watching my father in laws large buck scent checked his bed twice w snow on the ground. The majority of the time a mature buck is going to beat you to his actual bed, so essentially your trying to get a day where he running late getting back home. But in the morning is when they are most vulnerable.
Tom_Schramm

Unread postby Tom_Schramm » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:27 am

Thanks a lot for your help. The bed is on the west side of a hardwoods hillside, not too far from the bottom maybe 100 yards from a rural road. We can walk through the woods in such a way that the deer won't cross our path. Assuming a southwest wind and setting uphill from the bed I think the thermals would go uphill. I just did'nt know if I wanted to be 30 yards from the bed, or 70 yards from the bed anticipating a J-hook. If set-up too far uphill and he goes straight in it will be too far to shoot, and if I set up closer to the bed and he J-hooks I will be beat. I'm also assuming the buck will be quartering into the wind.

<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:37 am

For sure do some research on here to maybe answer some specific questions you have. You know your situation better than I, so go w your gut and give it a shot. Im sure you have heard Dan talk about the moon phases if you have listened to podcasts, some believe in it others don't... I think it has everything to do w experiences. Also, it will vary from pressured / un pressured deer.
IMO the first couple days of the season is a good time to give it a shot, I personally am saving my morning bed hunts for mid oct-early nov cold fronts, add a moon day on top i am confident walking in. I think that right about that time is best bc - food is changing, deer are checking scrapes, rubs, does, and fighting. All these things can hold him up long enough to maybe get a crack. If that buck is still beating me, he is smart and then its obvious its going to take rut kicking up to get him to make a mistake.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:57 am

A lot depends on the terrain, on points and islands they can come in wind to back to smell if anything is tracking them. Sometime in flat swamps I see them J-hook. In wolf country I see them scent the bed from downwind and then pass the bed J-hook back with wind to back, this was in a cedar swamp bed. This way they can see/smell anything tracking them and scent the bed to make sure no danger is near. Nothing is 100%, makes it hard to hunt beds in the AM.
Tom_Schramm

Unread postby Tom_Schramm » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:11 am

Which moon phases would you suggest? I doubt the buck is a monster, but he must be at least 2.5. The bed was there last winter with rubs nearby, so he survived last hunting season, and the bed was still there with freshly matted down grass two weeks ago.

<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:16 am

Headgear hit it on the head - Nothing is 100% when doing this. He has helped me in the past so here is me passing the buck -https://usprimetimes.com/
You are looking for days where the moon is overhead / underfoot close to dawn / dusk. So for me this season, I like the weekends of Oct 7,8,9 & 21,22,23.
When it comes to the moon, there are many threads, discussions and opinions about this. A lot of back and forth... its a theory that does produce results for some and not for others. It always ends w not planning your days off around the moon. Also - good / bad weather always trump the moon. I think Dan talks a lot about it on a wired to hunt podcast if you wan to hear more about it. Its an added tool in the , some people only hunt by it.

Id go for it, if he is young you probably got a higher chance and if you get busted he probably wont move on from that bed. I hope this helped you out and hopefully you get some more input.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”