Hidden field hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hunter10
500 Club

Hidden field hunting

Unread postby hunter10 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:42 am

I haven't sat a field edge unless standing corn in a couple years now for the obvious reasons but does anyone consider hidden fields or ones out of sight to a road. The farmland timber is often now a simple square so many times there is sharp inside corners and bowls made up of the field and bush edge. Has anyone experienced mature bucks using these field areas to feed if close to thick cover?? If so, how did you hunt them. I could imagine the wind would swirl in these hidden pockets.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Dewey

Re: Hidden field hunting

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:54 am

I'm interested in this as well. Found a few of these while scouting in Iowa that are quite a distance away from public access.
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:29 am

I know that fields that are completely surrounded by bush say a 1acre field , there is a lot of wind pull effect and I haven't had a good hunt in that kind of spot since. That's why my interest is in the semi open fields

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:33 am

I have observed that the bucks do use these corners in Summer. They seem to disperse by hunting season so not sure about October - onward. The does seem to enter/exit not at the corners. They enter/exit around the midpoint of the wood line. I think this may be due to coyotes as they travel and feed across the middle of the fields, not near the cover. My guess is because they can see if a coyote is around and avoid being "jumped" by one hiding in field edge cover. It's the only plausible reason I can think of because there isn't a lot of other pressure on this property that I know of historically.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:55 am

I see nothing wrong with hunting a field edge if the situation calls for it. Mature bucks will use a field edge if they feel safe and there is something there they want, depending on the time of year. Around here we have small pockets of woods surrounded by agriculture fields as well as weed fields. Bedding in these chunks of woods usually isn't that far from the edge of the field, the woods is too small and they will venture out. Alot of these places also get no intrusion throughout the year and can't be seen from roads, etc. They are the perfect place for a buck to ease out and munch on some corn left after combining.

I have seen many mature bucks in fields or on the edges when the conditions are right. Usually in the last hour of daylight but I have seen them at alot of different times of the day.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:46 am

If the habitat that borders it is thick, IMO you have a chance. As always... Bedding bedding bedding. If bedding isn't close you're probably going to have a tough time.

Opening evening I sat back in the thick and I put Dad in a corn field overlooking a hay field. All the deer he saw (which were bedded between us) kept close to the thick stuff. He said they popped out, fed a bit and walked the edge, then ducked back into the cover.

Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:00 pm

Hidden clear cut openings are very productive when bordered by thick areas. Out of sight out of mind approach.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:15 pm

I passed on a nice mid-day cruiser last time in IA, parallel trail type of deal on the down wind edge. I was probably 50 or 60 yards off of the field and the cover fairly thick.

The field was way back in, but access wasn't difficult other than a long walk.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:02 pm

During the rut, yes. Does come to the food at night. Big bucks follow. Some of my favorite habitat is overgrown fields with apple trees or oaks around them.

Prior to the rut, yes, but not as often. I have a camera running on an apple tree that is on a secluded field. Its a mile bike ride through cart road, across 3 other fields to get there. Bucks still don't show up to the apple tree in daylight. Most of the bucks are showing at 10:30 at night. Even though there is 0 pressure.

LD mentioned it, bedding. Its all about where they bed more so then if they will come out in daylight. If the bucks bedded closer, more than likely I would see them in daylight at the about mentioned apple tree.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”