Rainy days versus thunder storms

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

9pt
500 Club

Rainy days versus thunder storms

Unread postby 9pt » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:25 pm

The forecast is calling for rain the evening of the Michigan bow opener with Thunderstorms possible. I've heard deer don't mind the rain and some argue that they may feel more secure moving in the rain for various reasons.

If there are Thunderstorms, should I expect less deer movement? The same? Should I try to hunt ahead of the storm in the morning or afternoon?

What have you seen / experienced with regard to Thunderstorms and deer movement around bedding?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Rainy days versus thunder storms

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:31 pm

If you can, be out there when the storm passes. I've seen some good movement from nice bucks in these conditions. You need good quality rain gear

P&YBuck1
500 Club

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:21 pm

I agree with Hawthorne, I have good luck right after a rain. It is hard to time it but if you are setup and it stops it can be hot. I am sometimes concerned since you never know if you hit a deer and another cloud burst comes through to mess up blood trail. Tough call at times from an ethical stand point and using bow.
warhog23
Facebook: corey policaro

Unread postby warhog23 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:32 pm

Two years ago opening day we had a hail storm come thru and when it was done it looked like christmas i kid u not. And i knew it was going to break from looking at the weather. So what i did was i snuck into the main bedding area of where a big boy lived and when the storm had passed i saw so many deer it was unbelievable! I was hunting beast style before i ever even knew people did what i do bc everyone thought i was nuts!!! Anyways I never saw the old boy that sit, but i did see him on a different set a hundred yards away on a rut bed in mid nov. but thats a different story...

All in all id say say if u got a thunderstorm make a move that u could never ever get away with without. Especially if u have break in the weather. Its money!

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:02 pm

1986 I was hunting in a torrential downpour. The lightening was intense I feared for my life sitting in a tree on a metal platform. I got down and hunkered under a big tree. About 5 minutes later a nice buck walked with in 25 yards of me. I stuck him and he took off. Miserable tracking in a down pour. I no longer hunt in those conditions.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:46 pm

Careful being out there in stormy conditions. I saw first hand once what lightning can do to a tree stand.....One of my dad's trees got hit by lightning, and his stand had a big chunk taken out of the seat that was folded up against the tree......good thing he wasn't in it.
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:05 pm

Lightning is the biggest concern. Take care of your safety first. Aside from that the best stuff is right after the rain.

I remember quite a few years ago hurricane Floyd was sitting off our coast pounding away at us. I was in high school and my dad and I went to help a friend tie up some loose ends at his fernery. I saw more deer up in the pastures headed out than I had ever seen, and we made that drive every day. Ended up sneaking withing 30yrds of one group while they fed on acorns. This was in squally hurricane weather.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:45 am

I will sit out a heavy rain if I know the timing will be such that it'll stop shortly before dark. IME it creates a lot of movement in a short period of time. It is miserable, but worth it.

I remember a thunderstorm on bow opener ten years or so ago that literally chased me from my stand within 30 minutes of daybreak. The lightning was intense. A lot of people got caught in it. It was fast approaching and then once it hit, it slowed down and lasted for most of the morning. I was soaked and stopped at the gas station and there were a lot of miserably wet hunters there. I did a mad dash across a cut corn field to get to the truck and lightning hit one field over. Nowadays the weather apps give me enough notice. I was young and it was pretty stupid to hang that long, especially since I could see that storm coming facing into it from my stand. But, it was also pretty fun, too. Good old days, ha!
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:33 pm

If its raining I'll be out and keeping my shots 20 and under, there's no deer that will have me out in lighting. I had a close call with it when I was kid working cornfields and I've been scared of it ever since. Jon Eberhart swears by rainy days, any inclement weather actually, I usually hunt rainy days but I never have much luck in a downpour.

Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:39 pm

It's pretty miserable hunting in the rain. I usually only do it if I'm away on a hunting vacation when time is limited. I have not had much success when it comes to sightings in the rain or after a rain, but that may just be because I don't do it enough.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:57 pm

I have been known to push the limits with thunderstorms not only hunting but fishing as well. :shifty:

Just a little over a week ago I hunted thru a storm and had a close call with lightning. It struck close and I could smell and feel the electricity in the air. Not the first time that has happened either. I'm getting a little smarter these days and climbing out of my tree now. One time I watched lightning blow up a big oak with flames and all on the next island over in the marsh. I learned from experience to avoid those lone huge trees on islands in the middle of a sea of cattails. They are like lighning rods being the highest land feature for miles.

Reason why I push the limits is almost immediately after when things settle down and the rain stops I have seen deer including nice bucks on their feet. Almost like the storms wake them up and trigger them to feed. I'm sure the low light resulting from the storms is more of a trigger than anything.

I won't take a shot in heavy rain but you can bet if there is a window of clearing before closing I will be setting up in the rain if needed to be there when it stops.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”