Which approach do you take? Wait or chase?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Edcyclopedia

Re: Which approach do you take? Wait or chase?

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:30 am

I wonder if the camera (human) presence is enough to make him leery of coming back sooner. :think:

I usually only waste a sit or two with the magic of the experience coming back. After that I'm off to the next area with hot sign.

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:12 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:I wonder if the camera (human) presence is enough to make him leery of coming back sooner. :think:

I usually only waste a sit or two with the magic of the experience coming back. After that I'm off to the next area with hot sign.

I have scentlok cameras so that can't be it. :)

It's not uncommon. See it all the time with the velvet shift. Many bucks as soon as they shed velvet shift. Some right away others later. But the deer always get more unpredictable as the velvet peels.

I just want to be in and around there bedding areas the day they decide to bed thst area again.

Out of the 3 bucks 3.5 and older, I have more daylight pics of the oldest buck, biggest buck.

Going after hum tonight...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:19 am

mainebowhunter wrote:[glow=red]I will also add...the key to all of this for me is a LOT of ground scouted pre season.[/glow] If I have one piece of ground that I am looking at hunting, this approach means a lot of not hunting -- which is exactly what happens during the urban zone time. There are no other options until regular season opens.

Oliver -- i take much of the same approach to bedding BUT I have a ton of ground scouted. Being aggressive while still saving REALLY good pieces and not pressuring them. In fact, many times, even when chasing I take wide berths around known bedding. For the most part, I am not handcuffed. I can follow where ever the sign leads.

I would take a guess that a lot of the long-time guys on here know a TON of ground and know a lot of it well.

Good point! The less ground you have/are willing to hunt, and the less hunting pressure you have to deal with, simply makes sense to sit and wait for deer to come to you. No doubt about it...somebody on here said (Bass?) Bill Winke will tell you exactly how you should hunt a 1000 acre farm of your own, and I agree with that.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:30 pm

JoeRE wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:[glow=red]I will also add...the key to all of this for me is a LOT of ground scouted pre season.[/glow] If I have one piece of ground that I am looking at hunting, this approach means a lot of not hunting -- which is exactly what happens during the urban zone time. There are no other options until regular season opens.

Oliver -- i take much of the same approach to bedding BUT I have a ton of ground scouted. Being aggressive while still saving REALLY good pieces and not pressuring them. In fact, many times, even when chasing I take wide berths around known bedding. For the most part, I am not handcuffed. I can follow where ever the sign leads.

I would take a guess that a lot of the long-time guys on here know a TON of ground and know a lot of it well.

Good point! The less ground you have/are willing to hunt, and the less hunting pressure you have to deal with, simply makes sense to sit and wait for deer to come to you. No doubt about it...somebody on here said (Bass?) Bill Winke will tell you exactly how you should hunt a 1000 acre farm of your own, and I agree with that.

Yep. Lee and Tiffany, another example. They absolutely would pushing the deer off their farm. They said they do not even go in the timber except for the rut. Same as Bill Winke. Same as anyone with only a 1000 acres of ground. Goal is to hold your deer on your ground. I know when we hunt the midwest, without EHD, there are ALWAYS good deer on our ground. I really don't need cameras to tell me that. The deer are just there. No need to chase properties. You know its good. When one good buck leaves, there is another to take his place.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”