Scent And Rain

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Scent And Rain

Unread postby csoult » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:49 am

Mainebowhunter's thread brought something up that I've been thinking about for some time. I've always been told to go into the woods on or just before a rain, but I think this is a misconception. Unless it is going to rain hard, you are better off going into the woods on a very dry day. A heavy rain will wash away the scent particles but a light to moderate rain will only trap and amplify your scent as documented in the article below. Thought?

http://www.familydisasterdogs.com/2012/ ... cking.html

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Scent And Rain

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:58 am

I agree a dry windy day is the ticket.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:13 am

csoult wrote:Mainebowhunter's thread brought something up that I've been thinking about for some time. I've always been told to go into the woods on or just before a rain, but I think this is a misconception. Unless it is going to rain hard, you are better off going into the woods on a very dry day. A heavy rain will wash away the scent particles but a light to moderate rain will only trap and amplify your scent as documented in the article below. Thought?

http://www.familydisasterdogs.com/2012/ ... cking.html

We have had this discussion before. I am not sure how much difference it makes. But what I am seeing is mature bucks moving better or the same after I have been there. Multiple times this season I have 3.5 and 4.5yr and older bucks in and around where I walked. Effective? Not sure. It makes me "think" there is a difference. But is there really?

The hardest part with any of this stuff is "what i think, from my experience" is not really scientific. I have scouted areas, big bucks show up AFTER I scouted. I have tip toed in on the right winds and it seems deer seem to "shift". My buddy and I have been having this discussion quite a bit lately. I run a LOT of cameras. There is no way I could only check them on a rainy day. When deer shift off the camera...is it because they spooked? OR is it because they are doing what deer do....3 days here...3 days there...2 days in another area...back again to where they started.

I don't put cameras in known bedding areas...I will put them on food sources outside. Will sneak in on them every so often.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:33 am

The hardest part with any of this stuff is "what i think, from my experience" is not really scientific.

Yep...

Personally, I don't think it matters... Dry, wet, sprayed down, wearing boots, etc... They come thru where you walked and they will smell you. How they react is the variable. And from my observations that varies based on where exactly they run across the scent, and the the mood or attitude of the deer that crosses your path probably also based a little on his experiances with what happens when he runs across such scent.

Rain can certainly wash your scent away, but you need more than a sprinkle. Amplifie? maybe, but doubt that matters to a deer that will smell it regardless. Wind can also "wash" away your ground scent but it would have to be an area not blocked by trees or terrain from the wind.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:26 am

Great topic always different ideas. Damp ground, leaves, dust, scent stick like glue. Plus you smash all the scent into the wet leaves. They don't blow around they just sit there and stink up the ground. Dry leaves will blow around dispersing the scent. I have been busted by bucks with my ground scent on wet ground almost religiously. On dry days I have slipped many a buck that has crossed my path. Can't be luck.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:17 pm

Did not know this but it makes sense. Guess I better start paying attention to strong windy days too

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”