Seen these?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Re: Seen these?

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:09 am

Has anyone looked at the Muddy Outdoors climbing sticks for 2010? They have a pretty slick rope system. Sure seems like they stole a lot of their designs from Lone Wolf though...

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:10 pm

BackWoodsHunter wrote:Has anyone looked at the Muddy Outdoors climbing sticks for 2010? They have a pretty slick rope system. Sure seems like they stole a lot of their designs from Lone Wolf though...

They hired Todd Pringles ( or however you spell his name ) from White knucle productions to engineer there designs. Todd used to help Andrae draw up his ideas. I don't think its an accident that the equipment is so simular. ;)
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:27 pm

Yeah Todd Pringnitz designed the Muddy sticks and they are pretty slick. However as much as I like Todd, and did like the sticks, the LW sticks will get you higher and lighter. I had to carry 6 Muddy stick to get as high as I did with 3 LW. That sounds a little far fetched, but they are short and it is true. The 20" stick weighs a tad more than 1 34" LW stick.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:28 pm

Sorry, I meant to add that if you are hanging a stand to leave then the Muddy stick will be just fine. If it is a mobile set up then look at the LW sticks or the Climb Paws.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:09 pm

So I found these on AT awhile back and then just saw some for sale recently. I wondered why they weren't mentioned when we were discussing silencing the buckles, so I did a search and yes they have been mentioned on The Beast. So did any of you actually buy and try them out, besides Indiana Hunter? What are your thoughts? Indiana Hunter can you give us any additional feed back? Back when I first got my sticks and found these, they were a bit pricey. I bought some CHEAP rope and tied a loop on one end and a pursic knot on another piece. I field tested it during season and it worked, but not well. My guess is the problem was the cheap rope. It was stretching and cinching to the point it was hard to get it undone. Just to make myself clear, I only did this on the bottom step. I would not trust my life to a cheap rope 20ft up. Had I found the right rope for a decent price, I would have given it a try. Good quality climbing rope is not cheap and I didn't need 50ft of it if it turned out it wouldn't work. Also it wasn't easy finding a dull color, as most climbers want flashing rope.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:15 pm

I saw the sale thread on AT.
You jumped on it quick. :mrgreen:

ZA206 from at makes those ropes, I had a few but did not use them very much.
Don't even know where they are. :?

If I remember right they were good, but you need to get farmiliar with them.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:30 pm

kenn1320 wrote:So I found these on AT awhile back and then just saw some for sale recently. I wondered why they weren't mentioned when we were discussing silencing the buckles, so I did a search and yes they have been mentioned on The Beast. So did any of you actually buy and try them out, besides Indiana Hunter? What are your thoughts? Indiana Hunter can you give us any additional feed back? Back when I first got my sticks and found these, they were a bit pricey. I bought some CHEAP rope and tied a loop on one end and a pursic knot on another piece. I field tested it during season and it worked, but not well. My guess is the problem was the cheap rope. It was stretching and cinching to the point it was hard to get it undone. Just to make myself clear, I only did this on the bottom step. I would not trust my life to a cheap rope 20ft up. Had I found the right rope for a decent price, I would have given it a try. Good quality climbing rope is not cheap and I didn't need 50ft of it if it turned out it wouldn't work. Also it wasn't easy finding a dull color, as most climbers want flashing rope.

Yep those ropes are pricey. And industry standard says climbers can't climb on anything not weight rated for 5,400 pound breaking strength and I think the smallest a guy can go is 1/2 diameter. Thats pretty hard to a get a rope that thick around a versa button and you won't find a skinnier one for sale thats rated for climbing. I think on some sites you can order rope by the foot if you decide to try making your own. Maybe contact the guy at AT and see where he gets his rope? Does anyone have a link to his thread I'd be interested in checking them out.

I was re-reading through this thread...what exactly did Todd design for L/W? He uses it in the opening of his shows and implies he designed the assault but I've never heard of him being related to LW at all...also if he designed the muddy stuff why doesn't he hunt out of their stands? This is confusing! I probably sound like a jag and those questions come off rude if you read them with the wrong tone...I am simply curious as to Todd's involvement in both. Maybe he will see this and reply....
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:39 pm

Here is some less flashy stuff in a 5/16" diameter...any smaller than that and stuff is not rated for life support. Some of it still has a breaking strength of 480 pounds but when you tie a knot and all the pressure is on the outside strands of a loop its said to cut the breaking strength in half. Good luck keep us posted if you come up with anything on your own Kenn.

http://www.sherrilltree.com/Professional-Gear/Climbing_3/Bee-Line-8mm
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:59 pm

Backwoods it seems you have some experience with rope. Isn't there a difference in line size when your talking something rated for fall, versus static line?

I have Cranford tree steps and they use this constrictor type rope for attachment. Yes they work and are far superior to the Ameristep hang on steps, but some of that is likely due to step design and not attachment method. Anyway the ropes are nice for noise, or lack of, but they are harder to use then the buckle in my experience. However now were talking 1 rope for 3 steps on a stick, versus my steps having one for each step. Might not be so much of an issue when you look at it that way.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:38 pm

kenn1320 wrote:Backwoods it seems you have some experience with rope. Isn't there a difference in line size when your talking something rated for fall, versus static line?

I have Cranford tree steps and they use this constrictor type rope for attachment. Yes they work and are far superior to the Ameristep hang on steps, but some of that is likely due to step design and not attachment method. Anyway the ropes are nice for noise, or lack of, but they are harder to use then the buckle in my experience. However now were talking 1 rope for 3 steps on a stick, versus my steps having one for each step. Might not be so much of an issue when you look at it that way.

Had some of those but not for long.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:58 am

Wrinkleneck wrote:Looks to be a GREAT idea ;) Next year I will have the LW sticks and would be very interested in trying the rope system.

if you can find any
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:45 am

I really want some......why doesn't anyone manufacture these?
mcmidc

Unread postby mcmidc » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:06 am

For you guys that are using the Cranford steps, what do you think of them? I was thinking about picking some up for long packs in and leaving the lw sticks home to shed a few pounds.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:26 am

I looked into them awhile ago, but the one thing that I didnt like was that it takes two hands to tighten them..not like a cam buckle strap strap that you only need one hand to cinch tight.

Maybe its not as difficult as I imagined it in my head, but that was just one of the things that kept me from getting them.
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:49 pm

mcmidc wrote:For you guys that are using the Cranford steps, what do you think of them? I was thinking about picking some up for long packs in and leaving the lw sticks home to shed a few pounds.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

EZY climb are the absolute best! This is how I hunt 90% of the time. Much more compact and easy to transport IMO.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”