Considering corn as part of hunt location

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Considering corn as part of hunt location

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:32 am

A couple areas I hunt, the corn looks like it's about ready for picking. Trail cam showed extensive movement in and out of it all day long (does and yearling bucks)....does it make sense to plan opening weekend strategy (assuming the right winds) around corn and oaks (nuts dropping as well)?

What are you guys focusing on with respect to bed to feed patterns?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Re: Considering corn as part of hunt location

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:55 am

I'll be hunting around standing corn this Saturday. The deer are in it and when the corn goes, so do they. The farm doesn't have much cover, a brushy creek bottom and a brushy draw. When the corn is harvested, the deer move across the road to the river bottom. This weekend, that river bottom is going to be flooded, hopefully pushing the deer to the farm. :dance: I'm thinking my best chance is going to be the last 30 minutes of light.
Mrmystic73

Re: Considering corn as part of hunt location

Unread postby Mrmystic73 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:42 am

When available to me, standing corn has always been a major part of my hunting strategy. However, I rarely hunt the corn itself. Instead, I find where trails leading to/from the corn converge and set up there, making sure I'm far enough away that I'm not spooking them from the field predawn and hopefully catching them unawares on their way to the field predusk. The problem I've had hunting the field itself is their ability to "materialize" 10 yards from the edge and getting busted by a very wary deer. GL!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”