Wind question for Dan and others...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

whitetail_addict

Wind question for Dan and others...

Unread postby whitetail_addict » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:50 pm

So I've heard Dan say that marsh bedding is often not wind specific due to the surrounding cover I suspect. In watching the swamp bedding DVD though I noticed most of the detailed hunt maps showed those guys hunting wooded points going into the marsh or swamp with a just-off wind to where it was some sort of cross wind going towards the deer but not quite hitting them out off those points.

So when we talk about not wind specific buck beds in a marsh or swamps are we generally only talking about isolated spots say under a lone tree or in a small clump of brush in the middle of the cattails for instance? And points in marsh and swamp would then be considered better options on that just off wind as opposed to any wind...?

I think I initially took it as all marsh and swamp beds were generally not wind specific but if I'm understanding it right I see the variance now but am hoping to get some clarification.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

jmaas07
500 Club

Re: Wind question for Dan and others...

Unread postby jmaas07 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:54 pm

You may get slightly earlier movement on the point if the wind is just off and the buck senses it's in his favor, he could be bedded there on any wind but possibly a bit further out if

9pt
500 Club

Unread postby 9pt » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:02 pm

I think the point bedding is an example of bucks bedding there regardless of wind but they pick a specific bed within that area based on the wind as opposed to going to some other point in the marsh altogether. This is in contrast to hill country bedding or farmland where they pick one ridge or another or one side of the farm or the other based on the wind.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:39 pm

Edge beds along the transition line are wind specific in general... Beds out in the marsh are not. However, as noted, with a point or edge that is preferred, bucks will just bed out further in the same area on the opposing wind.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”