Spreading yourself to thin

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: Spreading yourself to thin

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:19 am

headgear wrote:Hey do whatever the heck you feel like doing, if its not working in Michigan head to Ohio for a while for a change of scenery. I don't really get not hunting out of state thing, you can shoot any deer out of state just like you could in state, it doesn't have to be a huge buck, hunt to your own standards and have fun. For now I wouldn't worry about spreading yourself too thin and take it week by week and see what happens.

I agree. My first bowkill was taken out of state in the UP of MI. Hunting is about having fun and if that means hunting out of state go for it. I'm guilty of spreading myself too thin in my early days and looking back wouldn't have changed a thing. Those adventures fueled the fires that still burn strong in me today. Life is about experiences so build up as many as you can.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

bobbo1686

Unread postby bobbo1686 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:28 am

In my opinion every place has something different to offer. The Ohio rut is going to provide terrain and movement you might not get in Michigan, so there should be nothing holding you back from doing an out of state hunt. Are you limited to hunting only the rut? One reason why I am so high on Beast tactics is that they are almost more geared to hunting outside of the rut. If you are soaking it all in from guys on this forum you should be putting yourself in a good position to get the job done in Michigan before the rut and then hunting rut oriented tactics in Ohio. Just my .02 but don't not do something just because someone tells you to not do it. When the season ends you should have no regrets.
Mrmystic73

Unread postby Mrmystic73 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:21 pm

Too thin? No way. Your Ohio hunt is a very short span in a very long season. Also, your fairly new to it so you're going to be learning at home or abroad and I don't care who you are, the moment you have it (anything) figured out, something comes along to show you you don't. You will rarely ever find consensus among your peers... So read YOUR wind and follow YOUR trail. The most important skill to hone is your accuracy that way if and most assuredly when the opportunity presents itself, you will be ready. It's great you have honey holes at home but so much of beast hunting is about adaptation. I say experience life, go and see and do as much as you can while you can. GL and be safe!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:36 pm

Dont forget to stop and smell the roses. I thinks it's good to try different thing even for a beginner. I get bored hunting the same places every year

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:52 pm

whitetailassasin wrote:As a hunter who is just starting out with out of state hunts, I can tell you it's really your expectation level. I know my first couple years are going to be learning experiences. I'm relying off my ability to interpret hot sign, scouting, and info we have on this site. Once I learn the areas like I feel I need to I can really make a more informed decision on if it's worth it to make the trips. I was down in Ohio for opening weekend. A 1.5 yr old 6 pt was seen, and 4 does. Nothing great. But I spent a lot of my mid days, scouring the mountains and bottoms looking for sign that a buck I'd be happy tagging was there. Also must have thrown enough milkweed to learn how the wind plays out. In the back of my mind I feel my best option to kill a good buck will be pre and rut there, until I can learn all the food sources, pressure, wind/thermals, and terrain there. But I'm looking forward to the challenge. And the journey. I still hunt my home state, but I know the odds to shoot a 130-140" buck, or 4.5 year old is less than other states. I wouldn't say not to go out of state, but I do agree that until you've honed your skills at home, it's very difficult to walk into a new state, new terrain, and just be on point.

Great advice.

PK_ wrote:I will give my honest opinion, and you may not like it…But it sounds like you might be from Iowa? :think:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry Stan, I couldn't resist! :violin: :whistle:

Not so great advice. ;) :lol:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”