Going after Mr. Parking Lot

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

keepthefevercalls

Going after Mr. Parking Lot

Unread postby keepthefevercalls » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:08 am

I am going to be chasing what I believe is a fairly nice buck for our area when opening day arrives on Saturday. Basically, he beds in a narrow strip of trees that runs from North to South. He beds on the west side of it, with the parking lot to the South East. So I will hunt him with a west or southwest wind and approach him from the East. My only problem is the East is a wide open field. I don't believe the field is his travel route, but it's possible he could feed there at night and I plan on approaching early morning. It is just too risky to approach in the afternoon. Do you guys think walking through that field will blow enough deer to ruin my chances? I am hoping they are hitting acorns and that won't be the case.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Hook's Custom Calls Pro-Staff

Romans 3:24
<DK>
500 Club

Re: Going after Mr. Parking Lot

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:51 am

This early in the season I avoid fields as much as possible. I have seasons of deer logs where I bumped a large solo deer in the dark when im getting close to stand location. Its best to stick to wooded areas this early and in mornings IMO. Morning hunting a buck bed requires solid access.
keepthefevercalls

Unread postby keepthefevercalls » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:02 am

Thanks for the advice! Do you think that since deer are typically used to traffic on human trails, that it would be fine to go up past his bedding and circle back down around and pop in the Woodline?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Hook's Custom Calls Pro-Staff

Romans 3:24
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:29 am

I don't know the situation like you do, but yes in general a deer will tolerate foot traffic on trails they see people on a lot. A mature buck will only tolerate so much before he has seen enough. If there isn't anyone in the parking lot I would head out earlier than allowed and take a chance. If its a place where other people are targeting I would consider passing up the bed and setting up further down the woodline in chance that other hunters will be pushing him out. If you found this bed in spring and he is still there then sounds like you got a good overlooked spot close. I don't want to spook you out of doing anything man, all this is just my speculation on what I have seen. Walking fields hasn't worked out for me. Get creative on access when it calls for it and your only going to find out the hard way. If he doesn't smell you got another chance

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”