How to determine wind direction?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

stash59

Re: How to determine wind direction?

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:09 pm

KLEMZ wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:Watch the high pressure and low pressure cells and the changes. The isobars change similar in many areas.

Hey BassBoy, care to expound on that? I took a meteorology class in college (25 yrs ago) and would love a refresher on all that! On a more personal experience note, I believe the milkweed floaters show us the micro environment airflow around us that the high and low pressure cells don't...they are more "macro". I think understanding both levels of airflow are important to a bowhunter of whitetail deer.

Does this website offer any insight on the isobar changes you refer to?
http://hint.fm/wind/

Yeah I'm having trouble with this too.

9pt
500 Club

Unread postby 9pt » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:48 pm

Dan brings up a great point. I have been thinking more this year about having two trees for the spot I intend to hunt in case the wind/thermals are doing something other than predicted. As I go in in, I'm going to try to determine what the air is actually doing before committing to one tree over the other.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:54 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:Watch the high pressure and low pressure cells and the changes. The isobars change similar in many areas. Don't get hung up on online weather reports and milkweeds. Learn how to become your own weather channel based on the conditions 24 hours from hit

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I agree about not getting hung up on the weather reports. But, I don't think the best wind expert in the world can do as good a job as milkweed... I plan to stay "hung up" on that... ;)
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:23 pm

dan wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:Watch the high pressure and low pressure cells and the changes. The isobars change similar in many areas. Don't get hung up on online weather reports and milkweeds. Learn how to become your own weather channel based on the conditions 24 hours from hit

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I agree about not getting hung up on the weather reports. But, I don't think the best wind expert in the world can do as good a job as milkweed... I plan to stay "hung up" on that... ;)

I never get hung up on them...I just use as a guide. If the wind is wrong in certain areas when I am there I A. Move or B. hunt somewhere else. Honestly, unless the terrain is changing the wind direction, the wind predictions have been pretty accurate for me over the years. I hunt mostly timber ..most of its pretty flat. So wind typically is pretty consistent.

Bout as complicated as I get with the wind.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”