Remember to be gracious...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Remember to be gracious...

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:56 pm

When you are very successful at something. Some people are gonna dislike you for it. Whether it's a promotion at work, winning archery tournaments, killing good bucks, having less weeds in the yard. Some people are going to dislike you for it. You just have to be bigger yourself and pass out some compliments.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:49 am

outside of a good person having a rare moment of jealousy, anyone that looks down upon another hunters deer is a person I try to steer clear of.

I run with a pretty good group, including here of course. We got one guy up north that I swear is bipolar, and has a hard time with anyone shooting any deer. I have been going into the national forest adjacent to some of his dads land, and when I shoot deer in there it just drives him nuts.

I used to shoot some deer on his dad's property and his dad is fine with it. I mostly stopped hunting the private up there ,because not only am I having fun doing things the way I want to, but its just an added bonus he cant mess up my hunting. It is unreal the things he does to his brother, brothers friends, and my friend Dan to mess with their hunting.

What a great topic and replys. Good luck to all this new season
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Aaron1987
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/aaron.warbritton.3

Unread postby Aaron1987 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:51 am

mainebowhunter wrote:Funny how that is forgotten by some hunters. We all will have a moment to shine at some point in a season. When someone else has the spotlight, be gracious and excited with them. I thought about it tonight when I was congratulating someone but last year, they would not even speak to me after I shot a buck. They were so bent out of shape about their lack of success...they could not see the forest for the trees.

We all have the "dang I wish it was me" thoughts that go through our heads. But its not your moment right now, its the guy with a big smile and his hands wrapped around a set of antlers. Jealously and discontent is an awful thing.

Well said Maine. Couldn't agree more.
Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

Unread postby Jrichard » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:38 am

I feel the same way. The bait shop I hang around in gets like that sometimes. A guy came in with a pic of a 5 point. Small rack. the fifth point was barely there. The guy loved it. He was ranting and roaring about it. Me and the owner were shaking his hand and congratulating him. Then another guy that was in there came up and says "Yeah well check out this monster I shot last week on my buddies farm." Didn't even say congratulations to the guy and just put his phone down in front of his. It was this slob of an 8 pointer for RI. And I couldn't bare to listen to what the guy was saying. And honestly I appreciated that 5 point buck more than I appreciated the 8 point. Because it meant something to the other guy. where as it seems like the jerk that killed the 8 pointer is out there to just kill. Its nothing but a one upper. IDK as a guy who doesn't have much access to much land, I can relate to the guy who is killing those smaller but more meaningful bucks. Not only is there the deer. But theres always a story that goes with it. And thats why I like this buck competition on here. You're not only looking at the deer. You're looking at what that person went through to get it. (If I kill a buck this year dont be surprised if the story ends with my soiling myself haha)

IDK I am going to be honest. If I arrow a doe or a spike, I will probably be happier than the next guy that kills a B&C. I had two shots this year already. And honestly when I thought I hit one of them I almost fell out of my tree stand. I probably wont tell many people about it when I kill my first deer. I am just a very conservative person in real life. (not like on here). But I know too many people who judge other guys based on there "Success" with big bucks. Every single deer no matter what kind is a win.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:11 pm

I will say this...we all feel it at some point in time. Its pretty natural to feel the "twinge" set in when "yet another guy on FB shoots a beauty" and you have not even laid eyes on a buck. Reacting to it by putting someone else down is not really the way to handle it.

The flip side is learning how to be gracious with guys who think that there latest buck kill qualifies them a spot right next to Fred Bear.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:43 am

What bothers me the most is guys that never ever give congrats to anyone yet command attention when they score. As hard as it is I still take the high road and offer congrats to them because I never want to be that guy.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:39 pm

Great topic and reminder.

Its natural to be jealous from time to time. That's being human. We all have nasty emotions at times. Jealousy, greed, anger...its what you do with those feelings (or DON'T do) that matters.

Grace under pressure shows what a person is made of. To me that is the difference between being a man and being a snot nose kid. Some never grow up.
Hatchetman

Unread postby Hatchetman » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:53 pm

Great post.

I say very little to anyone anymore about the deer I shoot. A few close friends, that's it. And only if they ask.

It's easy to tell your real friends, they'll be as interested in hearing your story and congratulating you as you want to hear theirs. Then again, some guys will avoid you like the plauge if they find out you had success. Sure shows their true colors.

In my work , I get around all over in the plant. I'm always asking the guys that hunt, "kill anything yet"? I get to give a lot of high fives to successful hunters and hear a lot of great stories. I love it!

Don't tell my boss though, I'm supposed to be working! :mrgreen:
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:58 pm

And here is when it starts to get real. We are through September and October and lots of empty tags still. This is the time when people start to get "grumpy".
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:16 am

mainebowhunter wrote:And here is when it starts to get real. We are through September and October and lots of empty tags still. This is the time when people start to get "grumpy".

Be quiet! :mrgreen:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:18 am

Hatchetman wrote:Great post.

I say very little to anyone anymore about the deer I shoot. A few close friends, that's it. And only if they ask.

It's easy to tell your real friends, they'll be as interested in hearing your story and congratulating you as you want to hear theirs. Then again, some guys will avoid you like the plauge if they find out you had success. Sure shows their true colors.

In my work , I get around all over in the plant. I'm always asking the guys that hunt, "kill anything yet"? I get to give a lot of high fives to successful hunters and hear a lot of great stories. I love it!

Don't tell my boss though, I'm supposed to be working! :mrgreen:

IMO, this is what it is about. I love to hear the stories, share the details, movement times, etc.

The lease I'm on this year is totally the opposite - it is a weird dynamic. They are like clams with no-one talking. They even stopped using the mandatory log in book where we are supposed to log everything we see and where.

SO, instead of guys trying to encourage and help others see deer, it has gotten competitive. People are grumpy and they seem to be doing stuff that would hurt the success of the next guy. That's the primary downside of the trophy clubs. They have all these requirements and then they steal the joy of it all.
moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:18 am

Great post Maine
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:08 am

competition is one of life's fine lines... good to a point. Encouragement to all. Be humble and hunt smart guys.
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:51 am

mainebowhunter wrote:And here is when it starts to get real. We are through September and October and lots of empty tags still. This is the time when people start to get "grumpy".

Grumpy??? The rut just arrived, no reason to be grumpy.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:07 am

john1984 wrote:

Grumpy??? The rut just arrived, no reason to be grumpy.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Easy for you to say....you just killed a buck. :lol:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”