I just cant break my "scent control" routine Im like RainMan

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Swampbuck

Re: I just cant break my "scent control" routine Im like Rai

Unread postby Swampbuck » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:57 pm

You are ruined now!!

Its way more fun not having to worry about that stuff

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Make It Happen
Ol'DanBoone

Unread postby Ol'DanBoone » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:27 pm

Forget it. It's just a money racket. Don't me wrong, it can't really hurt you, but I've had the same scenario that happened to you, to happen to myself often enough. I just don't buy it anymore.
Doesn't mean I go into the woodsystem after a night out, smelling like fabio. But still....

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:02 pm

I wasted a lot of time and money on scent control...now that time and money is spent at the taxidermist ;) :mrgreen:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:09 am

I mean I will still wash the clothes and such. I mean honestly it cant really hurt anything, but honestly it would consume my mind, cause fights with the wife because I wouldn't let her wash her clothes until mine were done.

I dunno, I think it all boils down to confidence in the spot you pick, and hunting the right wind. I think I used it more as a crutch in the past, and didn't focus on the wind as I do now. If I get busted because I was winded, then I didn't account for something, and deserved to be busted. LOL

I appreciate the words. I am still on cloud nine over the whole thing. I have his euro mount sitting on the window sill by my desk at work. Proud of him. No where near the caliber or what a lot of you guys put up, but in my area he is a decent buck. Just cracks me up that all of the years of anxiety and such, were all for nothing. LOL It more or less common sense, and kind of one of those things, where you need to do what you can to stack the deck in your favor. Hunt smart, trust your game plan, and hopefully execute.
NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:32 am

I stopped doing ANY scent control years ago. I will fill my truck with gas with my hunting boots on. I would even dump gas and perfume on me, eat at the local restaurant, pet my dog, wear 5 day old socks,underwear, tee shirt and still go hunting. Scent control = playing the wind. They can't smell what doesn't reach their nose. I have a wall full of proof that my thought process works.

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:34 am

magicman54494 wrote:I stopped doing ANY scent control years ago. I will fill my truck with gas with my hunting boots on. I would even dump gas and perfume on me, eat at the local restaurant, pet my dog, wear 5 day old socks,underwear, tee shirt and still go hunting. Scent control = playing the wind. They can't smell what doesn't reach their nose. I have a wall full of proof that my thought process works.

Same here. I basically pay no attention to what I do in my hunting clothes. I almost always stink. Don't care either.

I wasn't going to disclose this for a couple different reasons, but screw it. On Saturday when I killed The Hulk I smoked a cigar, threw my orange vest on, and headed out. I wreaked, guaranteed. I smoked a cigarette before I stalked the buck in my avatar, and also the big mulie I snuck to within 25 yards of in SD.

Obviously scent is going to linger longer if you do things like smoke before a hunt. I don't do it at my best spots or places I plan on hunting multiple times. In 2009 when I smoked regularly, I killed a nice two year old with cigarette butts wedged in the bark of my tree.

Play the wind and hunt mobile.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:26 am

"play the wind and hunt mobile"

Once I focused on that mind set my success went up. When that switch was flipped the old lightbulb went off.

Now if I can get a little more time to hunt, and pass up 2.5 year olds Ill be cooking with fire. LOL
NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:36 am

I used to do alittle scent control years ago, but after buying the marsh bucks dvd and hearing Dan the man saying it's just a waste of money, I took his word for it and NEVER spent another dime on scent control products. Thank you Dan

checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:37 pm

thwack16 wrote:I think that clothes washed in a neutral washing powder as opposed to Tide makes me harder to smell.

I think using Arm & hammer baking soda toothpaste as opposed to crest scope makes me harder to smell.

I think using a non scent deodorant as opposed to old spice makes me harder to smell.

I think taking a shower in scent free soap as opposed to old spice soap and head and shoulders shampoo makes me harder to smell.

I think that spraying down my boots with scent away makes me harder to smell.

Do I think any of it eliminates me from being able to be smelled? Heck no, but I do think it minimizes it.

I get no anxiety over making a separate wash load for my hunting clothes. If I'm hunting after work, I don't freak out and run home and shower or not hunt because I can't shower.

At what point is this good enough? Meaning for instance, do you rinse your washer out with bleach a few times before you wash your clothes to get rid of any residual detergent? If deer can smell as good as we think they do, even if your clothes don't have a noticeable smell of detergent, they could still have a slight residual trace from detergent left in the washer. I'm sure scent away has other chemicals in it too. I've sprayed it and some other commercial sprays on a stinky hat and it might kill the smell for a second but its back in a few minutes. I'm not saying we can't minimize scent but I'm just not sure it's worth all the effort. I've had a doe cut my tracks wearing solid rubber boots...didn't bust, but turned around and snuck out the way she came. Had another do the same in a drainage ditch...had a little bit of water in it and she caught my scent from a rock I stepped on...stood around looking for me and backed out. Maybe it was my scent control that kept them from blowing and stomping I don't know...but they definitely smelled me rubber boots and all. Now I'm not as worried about it. I still wash my stuff in unscented soap...I'm not as picky about it though.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”