Dragging deer out of the swamp

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: Dragging deer out of the swamp

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:13 am

hunter_mike wrote:Now that its legal in WI I will likely be quartering using the gutless method. Unless its close enough to the road that a drag is feasible. Dragging is really hard and I have never even dragged a slob out.

Wish this option was available in my younger days. Took a lot of years off my body dragging marsh bucks out. Problem is back then I wasn't smart enough or likely just too stubborn to do things the easier way and now I'm paying the price. Let that be a lesson to you younger guys. My chiropractor has made a pretty good living off of me over the years.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:19 am

Great problem to try and solve. Kill a big buck in the swamp, figure a way to get him out. :think:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:04 pm

Dewey wrote:If you hunt solo and it's legal quartering and packing would be by far the best option if you are in very deep. Dragging a heavy buck out of a nasty wet marsh by yourself will turn even the strongest guy into a whimpering mess. :lol:

This!
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:29 pm

I either make a phone call and wait for help or I smile eat yo ear dragging cause it's worth it. If it wasn't work everyone would go it.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:34 pm

hunter_mike wrote:Now that its legal in WI I will likely be quartering using the gutless method. Unless its close enough to the road that a drag is feasible. Dragging is really hard and I have never even dragged a slob out.

Unless I'm mistaken, you still need to remove all of the bones. So gutless method isn't really an advantage because you still need to remove the entrails to pack out the spine, ribs, and hips.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Mrmystic73

Unread postby Mrmystic73 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:24 pm

Great tips! Ive been hunting marshes almost exclusively for the past six years and those sleds are a life saver. Another trick I use (for hills or anywhere I can't get good footing) is my one man ladderstand hoist. It's slow going but it saves on the back!

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:46 pm

bowhunter15 wrote:

Unless I'm mistaken, you still need to remove all of the bones. So gutless method isn't really an advantage because you still need to remove the entrails to pack out the spine, ribs, and hips.

My understanding is once you register it you can make as many cuts as you want. So as long as you have cell service you can tag it, register it and quarter, even bone it out if you want. I would need to check the regs myself though before proceeding with that.

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:41 am

hunter_mike wrote:
bowhunter15 wrote:

My understanding is once you register it you can make as many cuts as you want. So as long as you have cell service you can tag it, register it and quarter, even bone it out if you want. I would need to check the regs myself though before proceeding with that.

The law reads that you still need to remove everything from the field except for the guts.

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:49 am

Dewey wrote:
hunter_mike wrote:
bowhunter15 wrote:

The law reads that you still need to remove everything from the field except for the guts.

Quartering Your Deer
[glow=red]Prior to registration[/glow], deer must be kept intact, except for field dressing, skinning and quartering.
Hunters may divide a deer into as many as five pieces to facilitate removal of the carcass
from the field, but the head must remain attached to one of the five parts of the carcass. The
hide and lower legs, if removed, do not count as one of the five parts. Only one deer that
has been quartered may be stored or transported at a time [glow=red]prior to registration[/glow], but quartered
deer can be transported with other intact deer. The lower legs up to the tarsus joint (ankle
or hock) on the hind legs and up to the carpus joint (wrist or knee) on the front legs may
also be removed. All parts of the deer, except the entrails, must be removed from the field.

I think i am going to need to call the dnr question hotline on this one. I am reading that these rules only apply to a deer prior to registration. I was under the impression that once the deer is registered you can butcher it??
MentatArcher

Unread postby MentatArcher » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:51 am

Dewey wrote:
hunter_mike wrote:
bowhunter15 wrote:

Would highly recommend everyone do this, particularly in any possible CWD areas. Still much to be learned about CWD, but from the research (http://wisconsinwatch.org/2013/09/prion ... g-disease/) It seems to stick around... better to send it to the dump if possible.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:14 am

MentatArcher wrote:
Dewey wrote:
hunter_mike wrote:
bowhunter15 wrote:

Would highly recommend everyone do this, particularly in any possible CWD areas. Still much to be learned about CWD, but from the research (http://wisconsinwatch.org/2013/09/prion ... g-disease/) It seems to stick around... better to send it to the dump if possible.

I don't really agree that removing the whole carcass is going to do anything to slow the spread of CWD in the big scheme of things. I can't claim to know a ton about the disease but my point is that if the deer has prions and I quarter the deer right there, and leave the prions right there where they came from, I wouldnt really call that a reckless spreading of prions. Unless there is a concept there that I am not understanding (which i can admit there could be)
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:14 am

hunter_mike wrote:
Dewey wrote:
hunter_mike wrote:
bowhunter15 wrote:

Quartering Your Deer
[glow=red]Prior to registration[/glow], deer must be kept intact, except for field dressing, skinning and quartering.
Hunters may divide a deer into as many as five pieces to facilitate removal of the carcass
from the field, but the head must remain attached to one of the five parts of the carcass. The
hide and lower legs, if removed, do not count as one of the five parts. Only one deer that
has been quartered may be stored or transported at a time [glow=red]prior to registration[/glow], but quartered
deer can be transported with other intact deer. The lower legs up to the tarsus joint (ankle
or hock) on the hind legs and up to the carpus joint (wrist or knee) on the front legs may
also be removed. All parts of the deer, except the entrails, must be removed from the field.

I think i am going to need to call the dnr question hotline on this one. I am reading that these rules only apply to a deer prior to registration. I was under the impression that once the deer is registered you can butcher it??

Call em if you want, but there are laws due to CWD that make you take the bones out of the woods. Some states even have laws about transporting deer across state lines with bones. Its getting crazy... I really don't see the point, cause once CWD is somewhere, its there whether you leave bones or not, I get the point about state lines though...
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:18 am

dan wrote:
hunter_mike wrote:
Dewey wrote:
hunter_mike wrote:
bowhunter15 wrote:

Quartering Your Deer

Call em if you want, but there are laws due to CWD that make you take the bones out of the woods. Some states even have laws about transporting deer across state lines with bones. Its getting crazy... I really don't see the point, cause once CWD is somewhere, its there whether you leave bones or not, I get the point about state lines though...

Sounds good, maybe I am missing a part of the regs. I never knew there were rules about where you could or couldnt dispose of the bones/spine and such. :oops:
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:39 am

bowhunter15 wrote:

Hauling it out in MULTIPLE trips would make it easier. And I don't think there are going to be too many wardens if any, who would give a guy a ticket for not dragging out all of the bones on a deer that has already been tagged and registered. Bury the freaking bones. Its not litter. Other wise this law defeats the purpose of quartering in the first place. I mean what next? We can't poop or pee in the woods anymore? We gotta haul it out?? We can't throw our banana peels or Apple cores out on the public forest floor?? We gotta haul it out????

Last edited by john1984 on Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:43 am

It's a screwed up rule for sure. Most bones would disappear very quickly in nature. A great majority of people would still be dragging the entire deer out so it's not like the entire state would be littered with bones everywhere.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”