Spot checking prior to opener

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NBK438

Spot checking prior to opener

Unread postby NBK438 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:55 pm

The opener in MI is fast approaching and I was considering doing a spot check on some oaks and trying to relate that to the nearby bedding I scouted out in spring. I don't plan on hunting over the oaks and wanted to do this so I would be hunting the hottest bedding areas come opener. Am I hurting my chances? Or since these deer are expecting the pressure at the food source, this should not effect my bedding hunt? Opinions much appreciated!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Re: Spot checking prior to opener

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:32 pm

I'll be spot checking oaks near bedding Fri-Sun in preparation for the MI opener. After 3 years of heavy spring scouting, I think I finally have more spots than I can hunt in a season, so I'll be spot checking to try and get on bedding that is active right now.

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:02 pm

Sure thing. Do the same thing. However, any spots close to beds, no check. Will check those cameras when I go to hunt them. Spots where the deer travel to the food source from the south and I travel to the food source from the North, I will check.

On another note...if I know a buck is moving on a food source back in the timber in daylight, I hunt the food source rather than bed because many times the beds are only 100-150yds away. I figure I can get another hunt or 2 by hunting from the outside in.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:23 am

I agree w mainebowhunter in hunting food close to bedding if its availbale, that's what it's all about. If it's private land I wouldn't be as worried. If it's public I would be hesitant to get too close. Pick a rain day, saves on scent but for me it's the chiggers. Definitely don't let him wind you if you do go. I would try pick a wrong wind day so hopefully that buck isn't there. Though days to get out don't always work that way.

warhog23
Facebook: corey policaro

Unread postby warhog23 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:58 am

Darkknight54 wrote:I agree w mainebowhunter in hunting food close to bedding if its availbale, that's what it's all about. If it's private land I wouldn't be as worried. If it's public I would be hesitant to get too close. Pick a rain day, saves on scent but for me it's the chiggers. Definitely don't let him wind you if you do go. I would try pick a wrong wind day so hopefully that buck isn't there. Though days to get out don't always work that way.

X2 this is how its done!

But if u do want to go to a place with higher risks if the conditions are calling for it to check it out maybe get in real early before the evening and check it out before u commit to it and then if it looks no good then u can leave and hunt another spot before u've ran out of time to do so

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
NBK438

Unread postby NBK438 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:23 am

Thanks fellas! Seazofcheeze, I'm a MI boy myself! I have been putting in my time out out there on the public scouting for 4 years now but really hit it hard this year with 100+ hours of scouting this spring. Can't wait to get at it this year!

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:54 am

Well you need to find a spot for the opener, so spot checking will confirm an area for you...

Go careful & easy as you don't want to ruin it before you're able to hunt. Gloves
Wear a body condom if you can or at least gloves and be wary of touching trails with you body - good access is still good practice!
With the wind in your favor careful not to scent bomb the bedding, glass for acorns, towards bedding, trails etc...
This is always a good time for re-trimming lanes as needed as well...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”