Two-fer on public opening night

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

The Runt

Two-fer on public opening night

Unread postby The Runt » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:11 am

Well, I have always wanted an opening night deer and finally I had the opportunity. Went into a piece of public with intentions to hunt a transition from some bedding to a few apple trees that were dropping apples. The wind was perfect, a just off wind that would have the deer at ease. On my way into that spot I noticed that a small patch of soybeans were still very green. At that moment all my plans switched. I slowly worked into the timber and got as close to the thick nasty stuff as I felt comfortable with. I could see pretty well, and had ample shooting in most directions. The wind was great, it was blowing over a bunch of downed trees where I figured deer wouldn't traverse. I was getting my camera rolling, and ranging the area when I heard a noise back by the field. Instantly my eyes caught movement and recognized the outline as another hunter. I was instantly grumpy, but kept my cool as he was still down wind of me. He chose a tree and started to assemble his climber. He was not a beast member judging by both the length of time it took him to set up and the noise level. Lucky the wind was blowing pretty hard at that time, so I don't think the sound carried all that far. He finally got settled in and had no clue that my wind was cutting him off!

With an hour left until closing a doe and two fawns started heading my way. I started filming them and they were coming in fast. The were on a trail that was going to bring them into 8 yards when the lead doe took a 90 degree turn and was heading towards the other hunter! My wind was blowing that way and when she started to get close to my scent she got nervous, but I was at full draw! At 16 yards the shot broke and she crashed off fatally hit. Now the other hunter knew that I was perched roughly 60 yards away from him. The surroundings settled back down and as the sun started to fade the deer began to get up. First two deer showed up near the area the first three came from. I figured they were the fawns, but my binoculars showed me a fawn and another mature doe. As they worked closer three more deer materialized in front of me. The fawn had came in fast and was know roughly 8 yards below me. I needed to see those other deer! I slowly got my binoculars up and the first deer was a doe, the second deer I scanned was a buck and a shooter at that. I could see a decent main beam, two tines up, and good mass. I slowly got my rangefinder up as the buck started angling away. I couldn't range him but, I got a decent range in a lane I thought he would go through. He made his way into the lane, but a little further than I ranged. I drew back and has he nibbled a few leaves the shot broke. My lighted nock didn't go off, but the arrow hit with a loud crack and I could see it sticking out as he ran away. I was a little nervous because I couldn't see exactly where the arrow was but I knew I had plenty of penetration. All the deer were running like crazy for what seemed like forever and then silence.

The other hunter was really mad now! His noise filled the silence as he raced down the tree. Ripped some grass out of the ground and threw it on his stand, which he left in the tree. Then he crashed through the brush until he made it to the field edge.

I packed up all my stuff and headed back to the truck to recruit some help. I picked up a buddy and his family, we dropped one of his kids to stay at my house to watch my kids, so that my wife could come along. When we got to my stand tree, I went ahead to assess the situation. I went to check on my buck first. I found blood right away and it was great blood. I followed the trail at a walk, forgetting to call over my wife, which i heard about later. I found the buck 80 yards later! We snapped some photos and then made our way to the doe. Another nice blood trail. Snapped a few quick pics and then the work started. Got both deer dressed and loaded onto my sled and then started the .77 mile drag back to my truck.

Best part of the whole deal is my wife is jacked and is buying a tag, first time since we had kids!!!!

Buckshot20
500 Club

Re: Two-fer on public opening night

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:16 am

Full freezer and a taxi bill. Nice job

[ Post made via Android ] Image
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:20 am

Congrats, great buck

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:22 am

So awesome! Great story and congrats x2!

kripp53

Unread postby kripp53 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:28 am

great hunt, congrats!
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:29 am

congrats!
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:29 am

awesome job nice work. I bet you are glad you switched plans and set up where you did!
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:30 am

Great story!! Congrats

moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:33 am

Great opener - congrats
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:35 am

Congrats, so the other guy knew you shot 2 deer & didn't even offer to help drag!!!!!

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:53 am

Congrats. Great night! Had issues seeing any of the photos larger...
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:00 am

Great hunt, and awesome buck. Nice work!
Joe68
500 Club
Facebook: Don't believe in facebook

Unread postby Joe68 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:03 am

Awesome story and great job. Thats a dandy buck.

<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:09 am

WAY TO BE! CONGRATS NICE BUCK!

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:12 am

Nicely done!