Doe Traffic Around Buck Beds

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ODH
500 Club

Doe Traffic Around Buck Beds

Unread postby ODH » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:46 am

My question is will does avoid mature buck beds in late Oct/early Nov if they are not “ready”? Here is my scenario - location is central NY. I have a bed which a buck moves in to in late Oct. Picture a thick spruce stand on a gradual south facing slope. This is doe bedding, holds multiple groups. The north edge comes to a crown at the center. This crown is both the point where many trails from the north come together, and where a buck takes residence. As this is the edge of the spruce it is also a transition line, changing to thick saplings and apples. Destination agriculture is farther to the north.

I think there was a similar example in Swamp Bedding of a buck bed specifically to observe doe traffic this time of year. I hadn’t thought of this before, but do you expect does which are not “ready” will veer away from the crown when the buck is in residence in order to avoid the harassment? History tells me does continue to bed in the spruce regardless. But IF they start taking alternate trails circling around the bed rather than taking their traditional route, it would tell me he’s arrived without me having to walk in and check. This year I will watch more closely to see if this is happening.

All thoughts welcome.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Doe Traffic Around Buck Beds

Unread postby dan » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:24 am

They still bed pretty close to bucks, but avoid really close. I have seen does bed 75 yards from bucks in rut quite often before they come into heat, despite the harassment.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:07 am

I agree with Dan. A big old buck will also do the same with younger bucks. A big old buck is going to get his at the food source also. Seen them push off younger bucks off a good food source.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:40 am

Thanks Guys I appreciate the insight

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”