Sudden wind switch predicted/how to handle this

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

stash59

Sudden wind switch predicted/how to handle this

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:46 am

Been looking at the weather forecast for Tuesday 9/20 here in South Central Wisconsin. They're predicting a wind shift from westerly to easterly in a span of a couple hours. Looks like it may turn through a northerly direction. A little after one would like to be set up on stand. Even though it may swing from west to east with north in between. I usually see alot of swirling when this happens.

What do you do? Stay home? Go in earlier and sit a spot for a west wind then move to one for an east? Wait for the switch then go in?

Lockdown

Re: Sudden wind switch predicted/how to handle this

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:00 am

I have been burned multiple times from predicted wind switches that either don't happen or happen at the wrong time.

I would wait till it switches then head in as long as you have adequate time.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Last edited by Lockdown on Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:03 am

I'd wait til it switches. I'd also wait until Tuesday to make the call as they often change the timing on that stuff days ahead like this

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Make It Happen
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:28 am

I usually hunt the spot, when the wind switches I move.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:30 am

X2 on lockdown and swampbuck what they said.

Also in the book mapping trophy bucks he talks about the direction of the wind shift due to high or low pressure. A low pressure front moving in will be a counterclockwise shift and a high pressure front will be clockwise. You can make plans according to that.

Jphunter
500 Club

Unread postby Jphunter » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:39 am

I have walked in within a short distance and waited for the wind shift to settle in.. After the shift I have moved in and set up on the edge of the bedding area.. I have had deer shift from one side of the thicket to the other. In your case the deer could be bedding on the east side of the bedding area and then shift to the west side after the shift.. If you could sneak in to the west side of the bedding soon after the switch it could pay off..

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:46 am

Jphunter wrote:I have walked in within a short distance and waited for the wind shift to settle in.. After the shift I have moved in and set up on the edge of the bedding area.. I have had deer shift from one side of the thicket to the other. In your case the deer could be bedding on the east side of the bedding area and then shift to the west side after the shift.. If you could sneak in to the west side of the bedding soon after the switch it could pay off..

I like this option. I do the same thing.

mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:46 am

Last year we had a midday predicted wind shift....

I didn't catch it in time and ran to to perfect spot for the shift...but I missed it...

It was like 2pm and a big mature buck walked the ridge and looked at my like a moron as I was standing on my sticks getting ready to step onto the stand...no reason for him to be on his feet that early on a hot day at the end of September or first days of October..im convinced the wind shift was why and I just missed it...I was smart enough to try to be there...I was just behind it...

cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:20 pm

Afternoon wind shifts are my favorite conditions to hunt. Select the bedding area for the wind and get close enough to wait for the switch. Set up as soon as it happens, but be patient as the wind will sometimes swing back and forth for a while before it settles on its new direction. Let your scouting determine when to close the distance so you dont stink up the beds.

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:40 pm

Hunt a bulletproof bedding area that is setup for the initial wind direction and doesn't have a safe travel route for a buck to move to another bedding area for the new wind direction.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:38 am

I'd wait until after the switch and setup, those wind switches can be brutal and push your scent in all directions.
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:21 am

great thread and quite a difference in opinions, I found it very informative. Gets you thinking differently about wind shifts that's for sure.
I will keep this in mind next off-season scouting beds in the winter and keep a wind-shift hunt in mind, Ive never even considered it before...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”