Inspect your gear before you hunt

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DaveT1963
500 Club

Inspect your gear before you hunt

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:55 am

Been seeing a lot of post lately here and on other sites about gear malfunction while setting up for a hunt. It happens but it should not be the norm. Folks inspect your gear, especially tree stands, sticks, and safety gear, before you hunt. Should be part of everyone's preseason prep imho.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Tufrthnails
500 Club

Re: Inspect your gear before you hunt

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:14 am

Yep. Not gonna say it hasn't bit me in the but in the past, but July is my maintenance month for the last few years and my in the field problems have went way down.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
rbuckleyjr1
500 Club

Unread postby rbuckleyjr1 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:59 am

Spot on. I've been having dreams lately about having trouble getting the pin settled on a deer. Ramped up my shooting and focusing on my form to make sure I don't have deja vu out in the field.

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:48 am

What is the best way to determine that a tree stand strap is becoming unsafe if there are no visible issues with the strap? For example, if I left a tree stand up, how would I know the straps are at a point of being unreliable if there aren't any frays, etc?
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Jlaneb
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SENDITTV/

Unread postby Jlaneb » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:53 am

Applies to me. Just posted about a stuck issue. The deficiency was obstructed by stealth strips. If you mod your gear, inspeCT what the mod may have obscured. These were month old sticks with a major issue.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:11 am

mheichelbech wrote:What is the best way to determine that a tree stand strap is becoming unsafe if there are no visible issues with the strap? For example, if I left a tree stand up, how would I know the straps are at a point of being unreliable if there aren't any frays, etc?

I change my straps out every year.... and i dint message mine out in the woods. Probably overkill but 15 bucks is pretty cheap compared to deductible and co-pay

BACKSTRAPALIEN

Unread postby BACKSTRAPALIEN » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:56 am

DaveT1963 wrote:
mheichelbech wrote:What is the best way to determine that a tree stand strap is becoming unsafe if there are no visible issues with the strap? For example, if I left a tree stand up, how would I know the straps are at a point of being unreliable if there aren't any frays, etc?

I change my straps out every year.... and i dint message mine out in the woods. Probably overkill but 15 bucks is pretty cheap compared to deductible and co-pay

^^^^ 15 bucks is pretty cheap to avoid broken bones.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”