Summer to fall shift of deer

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mschmeiske
500 Club
Facebook: Www.facebook.com/mschmeiske

Summer to fall shift of deer

Unread postby Mschmeiske » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:52 am

I was curious how often you notice new deer popping up around this time of year and through the season? What tactics do you use to get inventory on them? This is my first archery season and I've got 130 acres of private to hunt and some public too but I'm just wondering what the chances are I may see a new face on the private. I'm sure there's lots of factors but I was wondering about some of your experiences. Thanks!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

whitetaildna
Facebook: www.facebook.com/whitetaildna

Re: Summer to fall shift of deer

Unread postby whitetaildna » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:14 am

Mschmeiske wrote:I was curious how often you notice new deer popping up around this time of year and through the season? What tactics do you use to get inventory on them? This is my first archery season and I've got 130 acres of private to hunt and some public too but I'm just wondering what the chances are I may see a new face on the private. I'm sure there's lots of factors but I was wondering about some of your experiences. Thanks!

This time of year is when bucks are changing home ranges (to a given degree). Usually after shedding velvet, bucks will relocate maybe a half mile, maybe not much at all. I've found that it all varies on location and property. Every year I have new bucks show up, some bucks disappear, and some stay put. What I like to do at this time of year is get my trail cameras up over scrapes and mock scrapes. You get cams up over a few different scrapes and you'll have a pretty good idea on what bucks are on the property. I'm in the process of moving all my cameras right now from food to back in the timber and over scrapes.
Alex Comstock

Founder of WhitetailDNA

http://www.whitetaildna.com
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:46 am

I think they shift some early season but not far but the big shift starts mid to late October imo. I have a bedding area I put a cam up that holds does most of the time. Amazing the different bucks I only get once big and small late October to mid December.

jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:36 pm

Every year I have target bucks disappear from our property at this time, and usually have a couple new ones show up. I've had some luck discovering new ones on mineral licks still in late September. That ends by October here, though, and it's scrapes or funnels otherwise.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Not all those who wander are lost...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”