Decisions decisions... Opening day in NE Oh

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Which spot is best?? If the wind permits I'll hunt the polls favorite and post the results!!

Superdense/dry creek
9%
Jewel weed/corn/h²o
27%
Vertical brambles
No votes
High orchard
64%

Total votes: 11
Mrmystic73

Decisions decisions... Opening day in NE Oh

Unread postby Mrmystic73 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:32 pm

I'm a meat Hunter but I'm going to be patient with the one buck I'm permitted to harvest. Unfortunately the 5k acre Marsh I usually hunt is under quarantine for CWD and, since I process my own harvests and the deer can't leave the township there, I'll be hunting a relatively new area this year. This area traditionally receives minimal pressure during archery and only moderate during our gun week. I located some promising transitions at different elevations. My choices for opening day (from lowest elevation to highest) are: 1... Narrow dry Creek bed separating impossible to walk or see through scrub willow and saplings from more open but still dense locust, ash and maple (excellent cover everywhere and numerous faint trails meandering around the more prominent ones. 2... Next is a field of shoulder high jewel weed in range of a small cattail marsh to the north and a corn field to the east; about 200yds West the afore mentioned Creek bed begins to pool up and there is a lone Apple tree, more importantly, this is where the hill begins it's very steep incline. 3... The third spot is about half the elevation of the hill and is simply a swath of dense brush and briars running vertically through an otherwise open tall timber area, it contains several faint trails, below is a marsh. 4...Lastly, near the top of the hill, I've set up along the ridge line where pines meet hard wood on the upper flat and in one area that is not so steep on the hillside is about a half acre of Apple trees. It is worth mentioning that each of these spots are no less than 150 yds from a horse trail but I've never noticed that to be a deterrent.
Now, if you're still reading this lol, assume the wind is right for each of these, which would you pick!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

rbuckleyjr1
500 Club

Re: Decisions decisions... Opening day in NE Oh

Unread postby rbuckleyjr1 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:29 am

If the orchard is producing and is near buck bedding that is where I'd be.
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:11 pm

I like the orchard for a morning hunt especially, but I should add that I don't hunt anything like your area so take that advice for what you paid for it...

Not all those who wander are lost...
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:37 pm

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

#1 or throw a dart. I'm also hunting Ohio opening day but in the northwest.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:20 pm

#5 drive to S OH :lol:

Team Orchard.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Mrmystic73

Unread postby Mrmystic73 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:41 am

PK_ wrote:#5 drive to S OH :lol:

Team Orchard.

Lol. That actually was one of my options. Wills Creek and the AEP Recreation lands offer a ton of opportunities.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”