What The Beast has Done for me

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowmike
500 Club

What The Beast has Done for me

Unread postby bowmike » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:05 am

Now I am not a full on beast hunter. I have 3 kids 4 and under, 2 of them being 17 month old twins. As you can imagine this doesn't a lot a ton of time for scouting and such. Especially last year where the girls were under the age of 1. SO any way I was thinking back to last year and how I really didn't do any real scouting. I maybe put in 3-4 hours with boots on the ground, an some knowledge of deer travel from previous years. Most of the sets I hunted were just from picking points the night before the hunt and basing them from the Hill country bucks DVD.

Now I did harvest a really nice doe last year. But the biggest gain was the amount of really nice mature bucks I saw. I saw 4 deer in the 115 and up range. 1 being a beautiful 11 point that was my "target buck" I had also had an encounter with a monster perfect beautiful 10 point that was the only deer ever to wind me in the spot I was hunting.

I just wanted to bring up the point that yes this page is great for you die hards, that can afford to scout, search for buck beds, and the whole nine yards, but to be honest it is even more beneficial to us young family man, type of guys that have to use wind, and lay of the land to pick spots, because we don't have the time to really get out there and scout.

Can't thank this page enough. I used to be in a tizzy if I didn't have a good buck found, or got to scout my but of running trail cams, but with the knowledge I gained from the beast I can be confident that I will pick the right spots to put myself in a good position to see these deer and possibly get a shot.

Thanks again guys.

NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
vermonthunter16
500 Club

Re: What The Beast has Done for me

Unread postby vermonthunter16 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:09 am

:clap:
-Rick
BuckHunter1988

Unread postby BuckHunter1988 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:11 am

100% agree and cant wait to get my hilll country dvd

[ Post made via Android ] Image
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:14 am

Good post Bowmike.

I fall somewhere in between. Some months super serious, some months no time at all. The time we do get is much more efficient Id like to think. I think its now much less common to waste a hunt by sitting in a low odds area, than it was for me 5 years ago before the beast.
All it really takes is the desire to learn, some boot tracks, and time helps too.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:16 am

Awesome stuff bowmike! I don't consider this site a normal forum at all. This is the first one iv ever joined and will be the last. Iv checked others but they don't even come close to place. We are all pretty much on the same page and soak up every ones advice. Its a very civil & polite site. The endless knowledge saves so much time in a stand. After finding this place, learning, and adapting I would meet and go hunting w anyone on here in the same day over people I already know.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:19 am

Excellent post!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:35 am

8-)
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:08 am

Good post. Im not a family man, but a workaholic. I maybe get to squeeze in a day of hunting and scouting one or sometimes two days a week. Id have to say as well this site has been a big help in maximizing my hunts with the limited time available. Im not seeing and killing giant bucks every hunt. Just getting more and better encounters with deer in general have been becoming noticeably improved, which is enough to make me happy.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:19 am

I honestly wish I would of found this place in 2010 when Dan started it. I was a good hunter when I got here not great but decent. Have shot my share of deer. Just being able to read what some great hunters have wrote on here has made me a better sportsman and woodsman.
I heard another guy on another forum ,that a lot of people didn't like ,talk about the beast in 2014. Clicked on his link. I think I've been here ever since. Lol

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Zona
500 Club

Unread postby Zona » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:32 am

Amen Mike.......with education and experience comes confidence
VilasCo

Unread postby VilasCo » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:28 pm

johndeere506 wrote:Good post Bowmike.

I fall somewhere in between. Some months super serious, some months no time at all. The time we do get is much more efficient Id like to think. I think its now much less common to waste a hunt by sitting in a low odds area, than it was for me 5 years ago before the beast.
All it really takes is the desire to learn, some boot tracks, and time helps too.

Efficiency is the key. One only has so many hours, and sometimes hunting/scouting takes the back seat. With my main hunting grounds 200 miles away its hard to have a pulse on what is going on out there. This forum has given me knowledge and confidence to go in blind and have good encounters. Thanks again to all the hunters on here who share their experiences.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:31 pm

I also wish I could of found this site in 2010! I've been hunting for many many years and always considered myself a good hunter. Before 3 years ago alot of my hunting was done on private land. Now most of it is on public. I basically had to re-learn how to scout unknown turf. And have busted my but to find some really great hunting areas. Thanks in large part to this forum! I saw the biggest buck of my 35 year bow hunting career on public land last year. I was 1 step from closing the deal!

Thanks to Dan and rest of you guys!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
kripp53

Unread postby kripp53 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:45 pm

I totally agree. What a great place to learn!

Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:49 pm

tgreeno wrote:I also wish I could of found this site in 2010! I've been hunting for many many years and always considered myself a good hunter. Before 3 years ago[glow=red]alot of my hunting was done on private land. Now most of it is on public.[/glow] I basically had to re-learn how to scout unknown turf. And have busted my but to find some really great hunting areas. Thanks in large part to this forum! I saw the biggest buck of my 35 year bow hunting career on public land last year. I was 1 step from closing the deal!

Thanks to Dan and rest of you guys!

Same here. I grew up hunting two large private parcels much of my life and within 2 years those parcels were broke up into 40 acre sections and either sold or leased out within a short period of time. I took all those years of unlimited access for granted. A big bummer to say the least. I haven't found the confidence to ask permission to hunt private land since. So I figured public land archery was going to be my next mission and Im glad I did. I did a ton of online searching looking for something that would closely relate to my situation and I ended up here.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:52 pm

Great post bowmike!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”