Fastest way to determine what bucks are in an area?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

Fastest way to determine what bucks are in an area?

Unread postby johndeere506 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:44 am

Ive havent been posting or reading much lately, but time to get back to the beast. Im super pumped for hunting this year, will be hunting 3 states this year, a record for me!

I have less time than ever this year, and luckily have some good bucks targeted at my main hunting grounds. Im looking to learn new areas also, and Im trying to determine the fastest way to see whats in an area pre season. Last weekend I dropped some public land cams in several spots, no closer than 1 mile each. I used fairly easy access points to drop them, knowing that Im looking for inventory only so night pics are fine.

I used box store attractants, feed, worn trails and current sign, and licking branches to experiment. Which do you think will show the best buck draw? How long do you think I should leave the cam to get a general idea of age in the area?

Some of this is just an experiment to see what works as well as getting the inventory. Curious what others think.

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Re: Fastest way to determine what bucks are in an area?

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:00 am

Summer=minerals, september=shelled corn or apples, or any preferred bait, october=active scrapes. That's been my experience. I would leave cams a minimum of what weeks to get good a solid inventory. Obviously longer is better.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:02 am

I like the experiment. Not sure what will show the most and it seems kinda like a skewed way since one area may just hold more bucks, but that said I'm still very curious to see what you come up with.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:14 am

Glassing bean fields in summer I've seen more than cams.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
vermonthunter16
500 Club

Unread postby vermonthunter16 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:17 am

I've seen more glassing beans than I ever have, its a good way to find out without disturbing the deer at all, they just go about their business.
-Rick
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:17 am

Man if someone figures this out please let me know :lol:

I don't think there is a "fastest" way and I have yet to find a single method to do so that works throughout the year in all environments. what works for me in one area may not work in another. It is a combination of methods that works best for me. Minerals are good but only as good as how close you can get them to a bucks core area. Observation, glassing and shining are good - but once again it can be hit or miss. Boots on ground can reveal a lot - but it is looking at past sign and really don't tell you what an animal has on his head or if he is still alive. And all these methods have limitations. Mineral licks are only hit during green times. Glassing and shining in Feb-April wont yield much outside body size. Rubs, scrapes and tracks can clue you in on size but cannot assure you that buck is still around or will still be around come season opener. Cameras are awesome but are only as good as the person's ability to get them in the right place and without alerting animals to your continued intrusions. Shining and observation stands are really dependent on terrain and time available to do so, and if there are no crop fields good luck with that. Etc., etc., etc......

Now combining all the above will give a good sight picture but even then there is always pieces missing. IMO there is no easy way to determine what bucks are in an area that works all the time. But each is a tool that has specific pros & cons and time periods where they work best. A year round approach utilizing as many of the tools we have available has always given me best results.

Probably not what you were asking but in my experience it is not about being fast as much as it is about being thorough and consistent when determining what's available in your area. Now if you are asking what would work best right now - I would say the safest this close to the season that could still turn good results I would say observation/glassing.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:25 am

Another good tactic is knocking on doors. Just tell them you're hunting public near by and you're wondering what to expect for buck quality. You'd be amazed at what some people will tell you. I acquired one of my better pieces of public this way. Doesn't look that great driving by but I've seen several real good bucks there over the years.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:36 am

I honestly don't think there is a fast way. I'm looking everyday and I have no idea what bucks are in the areas I can hunt as of yet. I think the fastest is also the most labor intensive. Looking and keeping an eye out is tough in most areas. I think we often want it right now, when that is not possible in most cases.

Just do the best you can do and don't get impatient. I did a walkabout earlier this morning, did not see one deer. :think: Maybe tomorrow morning will produce some intel? You just never know.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:50 am

Stanley wrote:I honestly don't think there is a fast way. I'm looking everyday and I have no idea what bucks are in the areas I can hunt as of yet. I think the fastest is also the most labor intensive. Looking and keeping an eye out is tough in most areas. I think we often want it right now, when that is not possible in most cases.

Just do the best you can do and don't get impatient. [glow=red]I did a walkabout earlier this morning, did not see one deer[/glow]. :think: Maybe tomorrow morning will produce some intel? You just never know.

Next time cut this out and hang it directly over your hat/head - heard it wakes them up and gets them on their feet. I am actually thinking about marketing these :think:

just messing around guys - I know there are mixed opinions on this and the jury is still out
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:12 am

I forgot to mention this specific area is bigwoods, no AG fields at all.

This process could take a long time to capture most or all the bucks in an area. However, if placed properly, or over a small plot, field entrance funnel or similar feature, the results can come quite quickly. Im not saying you wont miss one or two or more bucks or even shooter bucks, but you could quickly get a feel for what the area has to offer.

Im not trying to specifically find target bucks, but more an overall snapshot of what lives nearby and possible buck targets. Im sure a well placed camera for 1 week in IOWA vs Northern Michigan would produce dramatically different results.

Maybe the question would be better asked, "if you had 2 weeks to inventory an area, how would you do it personally?"

I hope this wasn't taken as a easy way out question. Cams are fun to me. Most places I scout and set cams I never go back to hunt, ever. Some due to inventory, some due to time constraints.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:16 am

Tufrthnails wrote:I like the experiment. Not sure what will show the most and it seems kinda like a skewed way since one area may just hold more bucks, but that said I'm still very curious to see what you come up with.

Could be skewed for sure. I could make a far better experiment, but that would take many more cams and time. Im hoping over time that one method proves to be the most consistent at getting the best pics. I fully expect different methods to shine at different times during the fall.
Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:25 am

If I had two weeks to inventory deer starting in mid September it would defiantly be bait. Corn an apples buck in the big woods almost always prefer apples. I would also put cams in the down wind side of the bait on a trail .

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:30 am

Findian wrote:If I had two weeks to inventory deer starting in mid September it would defiantly be bait. Corn an apples buck in the big woods almost always prefer apples. I would also put cams in the down wind side of the bait on a trail .

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Thanks for the input, that makes sense to me. Good luck actually hunting the bait, as most pics will be at night, but for photo ops only seems productive.

I don't know what they prefer but my apple trees at home are getting pounded by deer right now...
Itchy Bones

Unread postby Itchy Bones » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:53 am

Try using your cameras differently. Use a field scan or time lapse feature and watch a much larger area. This way you're not limited to the pir sensor of the camera. I like to set them up this way and watch edges of ag fields. I've also thought about putting them 20' or so high near bedding areas on time lapse to watch entry and exit routes.

Pros: much higher probability of catching a mature animal on camera than getting them to walk right to it and pose, you can put cameras in lower impact spots

Cons: eats batteries, requires high capacity sd card and might have to check cameras more often

Itchy Bones

Unread postby Itchy Bones » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:56 am

That said I glassed the biggest buck I saw this summer as many times as I saw him on camera. Still haven't laid eyes on the big boy I got on camera last dec. I think he came from some distance to be near the last available standing corn.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”