Finding a producing oaks in a down year

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hatchetman

Finding a producing oaks in a down year

Unread postby Hatchetman » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:46 pm

I've read quite a few articles on what really dictates acorn production. They can get quite complex to say the least.

What I've found is there are many many factors which determine the acorn crop in any particular year and that it is far from being as simple as just "every other year" (although sometimes it appears that way)

In a condensed version, what my simple mind absorbed, was that humidity (meaning high humidity is bad, dryer the better) and temperature (temperature meaning below 32 no good above 70 no good either) during the 7-10 day pollination period is the biggest factor.
In Wi pollination happens about mid May on average.

Last year, in my area, there was a bumper crop,this year very very few.
I have a big red oak on my lawn. Last year I raked up about 3/4 of a garbage cans worth. This year I've found 7... Yes, 7 measly acorns.

I read one article from a biologist from West Virginia who said on a down year, make sure and check trees on the very crests of ridges. Sometimes those trees will produce when all others will not. He gave the sole reasoning that on abnormally cold nights in spring during pollination, only the trees highest in elevation will avoid the frost. But from what I've read, I'm thinking increased air flow and slightly dryer conditions may exist also on ridge tops which should help.

I've had some really good early season hunts when I could find those few oaks that produced on a down year, much better than on a bumper crop year.

I was scouting this past weekend on state land. I spent 4 hrs. looking around, half time in the swamp and the rest up in the oaks . I managed to find 1 burr oak that had a good crop on a ridge top. Absolutely tore up underneath it. really close to the road though so I'm thinking might be a lot of night time activity. I guess I'll have to at least give it one sit to see what shows.

I'm no biologist that's for sure, but does anyone else have any methods of finding acorn producing trees on a down year?

Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Re: Finding a producing oaks in a down year

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:15 pm

I usually just get lucky. I think you are on the right track with sticking to higher elevations. Bad thing about most areas around me with the highest elevations are right next to roads and most are unhuntable

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:21 pm

Wearing out the boot leather, binos in hand. Its kind of the same method on a bumper crop. You have to find the nuts that the deer like the best and setup on them. Bumper crops mean deer move less. Can be tough.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:38 pm

One of Jeff Murrays books talked about that, it said in a down crop year seek out N/NW facing slopes. It also stated that in year w acorn crop failure, there may be up to 60% less rubs made. When he talked about arial scouting, it said acorn trees are globular / crown shaped. After all that, im sure they have done more modern reasearch since, but it was a book he wrote that had other people's research. I think the book is Big Bucks Only.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:55 pm

I use to hunt an area that had a small grove of bur oaks surrounded by thick bedding. They only produced twice in 7 years couldnt figure out why they were inconsistent. The deer hunting was awesome. I shot two nice bucks. I would look for alternate foods also. I've seen deer hammer wild grape the years they produced. Also seen it with dogwood , beech nuts, maple, wild apples, wild pear, and mulberry. Beech nuts are inconsistent producers. I've seen areas torn up around them when their little nuts are on the ground.

If your far enough south I've heard sawtooth oaks are heavy consistent producers that drop early season. I found a northern strain that are suppose to be able to survive the northern climates. I planted 10 of them on my propert 2 years ago. So far they are doing and growing good.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:44 pm

Locally, we have a few acorns, more than last year which was almost nonexistent, but not many. Frankly this is about perfect for hunting although I know the deer and turkeys could use more than what they will have. I have found 3 small areas with a lot of acorns, starting to drop, and the deer sign is incredible, under them the ground is churned up with deer tracks.

Anyway, most of what I have been finding are red oaks on the north and east slopes for whatever reason. My guess is these bloomed latest this spring, we had short cold & rainy snap that perhaps limited pollination of the early blooming ones. Not sure, just a guess but that is where I am finding acorns. Anyone else notice a correlation with slope direction?
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:04 am

Quick scout , Put 3+ miles on sunday on some new public ground. Found a nice ridge back in with plenty of oaks and between some good cover . Found three reds that have just started dropping .... The squirrels were helping that out too and some does were feeding there at noon when I showed up. Im thinking its a good spot for a first day sit with my 13 yr old son.
The ridge runs north and south , sloped towards the west . FWIW...The oaks dropping are all on the bottom edge.
BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:11 am

What is you guys preferred set up on a HOT oak?

Are yall setting up within 20 yards of it, making a circle around cutting a big track and following it out? What's been your most successful setup?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”