Antler characteristics

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rockytophunter

Antler characteristics

Unread postby Rockytophunter » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:48 am

For those to keep tabs on their bucks from year to year, how often is it that a buck will carry the same characteristics from year to year once they are a mature buck? I have one on camera from last year after season that had a noticeable crook at the end of his left beam. This past week I had a new buck on camera that has the same looking crook at the end of his left beam.I didn't know if they would carry characteristics over or if he injuried his antler while in velvet.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

vermonthunter16
500 Club

Re: Antler characteristics

Unread postby vermonthunter16 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:58 am

I think it would carry over, genetics probably plays a large role in this. But if you go to the trail cam section there are plenty of guys who can pinpoint a buck based on similar traits from years prior.
-Rick
wickedbruiser
500 Club

Re: Antler characteristics

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:23 am

Characteristics definitely carry over year to year. A buck I have 3 years of history with is distinguished by the way his main beams hook around by his g2 and it's wide symmetrical rack. It was even noticeable when he was a 2.5 year old 7 pt. Post pics of the 2 and some beast members can give their input.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”