After scent

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

After scent

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:20 am

Just posting to note again, how bucks react to scent even when we are not around. Just checked a cam yesterday that had been out since 7/29. Have a trail cam pics of a shooter buck on 7/30, he definitely was not liking things and it is pretty clear he smelled me from the day before. This was in a field edge by corn. He never showed up again. My guess is he started using a different entry point to the woods. This is one of several instances where I have seen bucks clearly smelling me the day after I was in a spot.

Sure most of you know this but posting as a reminder of how (as much as I hate it) spots can get burned after just one sit.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: After scent

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:46 am

After some years of running trail cams I've never been able to get consistent pics of mature bucks. I've gotten them about a month apart many times. I've noticed deer reacting to my scent a day after I hung my cam them sniffing around. Always seemed like 2-3 days before they looked normal . Why it's a good idea to hang them in a rain which always isn't possible for me because I live 1-2 hours from my hunting areas.

Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

Unread postby Jrichard » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:48 am

Hawthorne wrote:After some years of running trail cams I've never been able to get consistent pics of mature bucks. I've gotten them about a month apart many times. I've noticed deer reacting to my scent a day after I hung my cam them sniffing around. Always seemed like 2-3 days before they looked normal . Why it's a good idea to hang them in a rain which always isn't possible for me because I live 1-2 hours from my hunting areas.

Rain really helps. A LOT. Also hanging them high can really help you as well. Does tend to be more curious and accepting of cameras. But bucks seem to abandon an area if they even got a hint of camera.

Like you say he is probably using a different access point.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:59 am

I have noticed the same thing. Bucks just don't hang around where human scent is.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:26 am

Stanley wrote:I have noticed the same thing. Bucks just don't hang around where human scent is.

Yup...I actually meant this as being for more than just cameras. I agree, rain is normally the best option for cams but not always a choice with hectic schedules.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:31 am

I have the best luck on real windy days. Seems to wash the scent out better than rain.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:39 am

What about walking through water and getting soaked before stepping foot onto dry land?
Example: Lets say you walk through a creek thigh high, then walk a field edge? (Lets assume the field is low cut)
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:41 am

Also, what about days when it rained the previous day and its still nice and wet the next morning? 50/50 chance the scent lingers?
Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

Unread postby Jrichard » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:43 am

The scent is washed to the ground and absorbed and dispursed. Where as when nothing is washing it to the ground it lingers.
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:45 am

Stanley wrote:I have the best luck on real windy days. Seems to wash the scent out better than rain.

Funny, before I understood anything about thermals I always wanted about a steady 5-10mph wind. I felt like it got my scent out of there better. And it still probably does.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:52 am

I've tried capturing a buck that made a tremendous size hoof track in the snow.

1st attempt - Buck walked 40 yards out of his way (actually closer a paved road). (1-Week soak)

2nd - 40 yards the opposite way from the original path (he passed under my tree). (1-Week soak)

3rd attempt - directly on the edge of the road, next to a house, never leaving thick cover. (1-Week soak)

He stopped coming around...

The End! :think:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”