Found my target by accident

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hunter10
500 Club

Found my target by accident

Unread postby hunter10 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:46 am

Yesterday I set out to set a camera up mid day. This small section of private ground provided 1 mature buck picture last year and the neighbour talked about the deer on a couple occasions. Well, all it took was me tripping over a a fence causing a racket to bust the big buck from his bedding area in a CRP field. I had previously not known of his bed but I now do. He busted and ran off so I cleared a few quick shooting lanes and will be able to climb a couple different trees within 100yds from his bed. I will try to keep tabs on him until October 1 opener but my question is, at this point in the pre season is it safe to assume he will continue using this bed or will bucks still shift home ranges this close to season. He was out of velvet and a beauty of a deer! Any other pointers on how to keep on a deer like this. I am realizing I am starting to see improved results in my mature buck sightings and setups since joining this site!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

wickedbruiser
500 Club

Re: Found my target by accident

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:57 am

If you can observe from the distance without disturbing the area, I'd do that to mark tabs and see if he is still there come season. Forget the cams. Stay away. If you can't observe, throw a stand at it on the first right condition.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:00 am

I'd check the weather report from yesterday to see what wind direction had him in that bed (if you think its wind specific). You said in your post that he's in a CRP field, if you can observe from long range with binos, I would try to do that to see if you can get an idea which way he is exiting his bed. What are the primary food sources right now? I'd be thinking about those to help narrow down likely direction of travel. If you pre-season scouted, I would also be thinking about any other buck bedding areas you located within 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile as back up plans in case he doesn't show from the bed you saw him in.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:21 am

seazofcheeze wrote:I'd check the weather report from yesterday to see what wind direction had him in that bed (if you think its wind specific). You said in your post that he's in a CRP field, if you can observe from long range with binos, I would try to do that to see if you can get an idea which way he is exiting his bed. What are the primary food sources right now? I'd be thinking about those to help narrow down likely direction of travel. If you pre-season scouted, I would also be thinking about any other buck bedding areas you located within 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile as back up plans in case he doesn't show from the bed you saw him in.

I agree with this. If you can observe from a distance on the same or similar wind then that's what I would do. I wouldn't worry too much about blowing him out of there once. As long as he's not constantly harassed he may come right back. He may or may not relocate before your season opener but it's worth atleast one good chance.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:27 am

If he's bedded in a CRP field he maybe bedded there on any wind, I've found like some marshe beds it's no wind specific. Seaz gave you some great advice on locating other bedding within your reach. Also knowing food, as mentioned is a must. Observe, observe, see his travel routes, and when he's moving. If he's hard horned and food is around and pressure is low, he just may stay close or bed in or near same exact place you found him in.

hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:31 am

Good info guys. Right after I busted him I got the weather app up on my phone and it was a NW wind which seems to be correct with the bed that had a tree as the backstop. Unfortunately there is no way to observe him on that wind but I can with an E or NE but it will be tricky as the crp field is really more of a crp river/ditch connecting my wood lot to another. Camera won't be touched until I hunt it. The food source is what is giving me a headache. There is beans all around this wood lot as well as the neighbours. I believe my hunts will have to be afternoon only. I have never hunted crp so whether the bed is absolutely wind specific or any wind is beyond me. I can't hunt him in the crp I will have to sit a tree on the transition

whitetail_addict

Unread postby whitetail_addict » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:37 pm

As mentioned by others... observe from afar. That said, observe with caution too. It's great to keep tabs on him but if by doing so you compromise any possible hunting locations to be hunted come season you're doing more harm than good potentially. You should only be observing to get information you don't already have, or perhaps to confirm. Don't just watch him day after day from touchy locations. If he feels any pressure now you make it tougher to kill him later.

Also, yes he could move this time of the year though he should be fairly close to his fall range by now. Again, any pressure could alter his patterns so proceed with caution.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”