Hunting shot range limit

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

vermonthunter16
500 Club

Re: Hunting shot range limit

Unread postby vermonthunter16 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:30 pm

I am super comfortable at 20, and slightly comfortable at 30, I would limit to 25.

-Rick
moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:44 am

I know out west long shots are a necessity. My longest with a recurve is 27 and with a compound is mid 30s. I would take a shot under the right circumstances in the low 30s with a recurve and out to 45 with a compound. Rarely do I have those types of shots though.
Primetime41

Unread postby Primetime41 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:54 am

I practice to 80 but try to keep my hunting shots under 30 yds. Too many variables in the woods, and I rarely hunt areas that offer shots beyond 30 yds anyway.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:56 am

I don't think I've ever shot at a deer past 35 yards, so I'd say 40 is my max

[ Post made via Android ] Image
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:12 am

If I can shoot 50 yards, 55 yards, 60 yards and do it in tight groups, I will also do so in the field. Conditions change or situations make it closer, but if I have a open shot at a deer, I know my bow has enough killing power, sharp broadheads, and my accuracy is where it should be for that kind of distance, I will not hesitate. I have several kills in the 50-58 yard range. You better now your surroundings, your weapon, and factors that can alter your arrow flight before taking a shot like this, but honestly you should at any distance. Confidence and your ability really come into play here. I know this might not be a popular response but it's the truth.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:40 am

One way I gauge my "readiness" for the season. When I can stone cold put kill shot on my target at 50yds. If I have to warm up, I am not ready. Midwest long range shooting matters me more than here where I live. Just too dang thick.

I will also say this about shooting super tight groups at 50yds. Personally, the only way I can stay on top of this is to shoot everyday, shooting a fair amount. By the time I hit November, I am not as effective at 50yds as I am during the summer. Just no way to keep shooting that much during the season. This year, I did not try to get into shooting 2.5" 50yd groups...because I cannot stay with the practice it takes. It take me a lot of muscle memory and shooting shape to keep this up on a regular basis. Stone cold, can still hit baseball at 50yds.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:06 am

The new bows are getting pretty quiet, but you still have to gauge the deers behavior. I don't recommend anyone take a shot at any distance if they aren't completely confident and know there abilities. Weather, wind, clarity of the shot, all have to be taken into account. Your set up must be capable of having enough energy and force to make a shot of longer distance. A lot of hunters will not take a shot on a whitetail at distanced MB and I are referencing, and I completely underarm and respect those who don't. I can't stress enough that one must be able to effectively shoot very well at those distances before even attempting a shot of this distance. I can say that 95% of my shots are within 30 yards, but I also know that some cases arise where the opportunity presents itself and I will take it if I KNOW its in my ability to make the shot. I have passed shots at distances closer than 50 because of wind, clarity, etc. just as if you used a gun, or any weapon, if you don't have the ability to shoot at a distance, you owe it to the animal and yourself to pass the shot. That's why practice is so important. My daughter is using a crossbow that's capable of shooting 50 yards, but she can not shot at the distance because her ability is 30 yards and in. She has been practicing and practicing, and I have limited her, as I feel I should. My neighbors frequently watch us shoot, they are in shock when they watch me shoot at 50 yards and put groups in a 2" circle. But years of shooting and hours of practice, as well as my bow being properly set up, have taught me I can make this shot. And I know there are many on here who also have the ability. Just the other day it was windy and I was showing my daughter how much the arrow is affected even at 30 yards let alone 50, and explained to her why I wouldn't take a shot of this distance because of the effect. MB baseball sized groups at 50 yards consistently is some solid shooting partner.

briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:49 am

I am a lightweight bow shooter so with my compound 30 yards is my max and truck be told the total yardage of my last 4 bucks combined is 25 yards...3 at 5, 1 at 15. It just seems to be the nature of the woods I hunt in.

This year, I am doing at it with the recurve and I am pretty confident at 15 yards. 16 or 17.....still ok, but 20 for me is a poke with that weapon.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:26 am

Inside 50 but it depends on conditions. I try to keep it under 40 and most of the spots I hunt I'm limited to @ 25 yards

Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:29 am

whitetailassasin wrote:The new bows are getting pretty quiet, but you still have to gauge the deers behavior. I don't recommend anyone take a shot at any distance if they aren't completely confident and know there abilities. Weather, wind, clarity of the shot, all have to be taken into account. Your set up must be capable of having enough energy and force to make a shot of longer distance. A lot of hunters will not take a shot on a whitetail at distanced MB and I are referencing, and I completely underarm and respect those who don't. I can't stress enough that one must be able to effectively shoot very well at those distances before even attempting a shot of this distance. I can say that 95% of my shots are within 30 yards, but I also know that some cases arise where the opportunity presents itself and I will take it if I KNOW its in my ability to make the shot. I have passed shots at distances closer than 50 because of wind, clarity, etc. just as if you used a gun, or any weapon, if you don't have the ability to shoot at a distance, you owe it to the animal and yourself to pass the shot. That's why practice is so important. My daughter is using a crossbow that's capable of shooting 50 yards, but she can not shot at the distance because her ability is 30 yards and in. She has been practicing and practicing, and I have limited her, as I feel I should. My neighbors frequently watch us shoot, they are in shock when they watch me shoot at 50 yards and [glow=red]put groups in a 2" circle[/glow]. But years of shooting and hours of practice, as well as my bow being properly set up, have taught me I can make this shot. And I know there are many on here who also have the ability. Just the other day it was windy and I was showing my daughter how much the arrow is affected even at 30 yards let alone 50, and explained to her why I wouldn't take a shot of this distance because of the effect. MB baseball sized groups at 50 yards consistently is some solid shooting partner.

2" is tough. That takes a lot of muscle memory for me to keep that consistency. In order to hold 2.5" groups, I really have to shoot everyday, 15+ arrows. Baseball/softball size groups, not as much practice.

Another thing I try to do is have my buddy stop by and stand and watch me. With the added pressure to see if I can "put my money where my mouth is" so to speak. The added pressure of having someone watch definitely can help.

WTA you are right about shot selection. Its something that my hunting buddy and I have talked a LOT about this summer. Feeling like you HAVE TO GET THE SHOT NO MATTER WHAT. It leads to a lot of wounded deer. If its too dark to get a rangefinder number, its probably 2 dark to shoot. If its to windy, don't shoot. If the angle is not anywhere close, don't shoot. Had another buddy this year that passed a 55yd shot at a 146" 4.5yr old 8pt. (son killed 2 days later) because it was just 2 windy.

Too much Levi Morgan and Tim Wells...gets everyone overconfident!
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:34 am

Confident from 35 yards and in. Been shooting all year and has really helped. Even the not so good shots are much smaller misses than what they were in previous years.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
WidowMaker77
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/carl.nystrom.58

Unread postby WidowMaker77 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:12 am

Used to feel comfortable out to 35-45 yards with my Heli-m, however recently switched to a black widow recurve 2-3 years ago and feel comfortable to 25 yards. All depends on the target i'm Aiming at kill zone on an elk is a bit bigger then a deer at 35 yards and would take it with my recurve. but ya.
MentatArcher

Unread postby MentatArcher » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:33 am

I'll bite..

So I practice as far out as I can - up to 50 yards all the time, but I have access to up to 100 yard range. I only have pins to 60. Keep in mind that when you're talking that far out if you don't call the range almost exactly, you're screwed already. If a big deer was at 60 and you put a 50 pin on it.. you might already be ~10in low + any inaccuracy.. likely a clean miss or worse. So check your drop.. shoot your 20 yard pin at 20,30,40,50,60 and see what that is. Range finder would be ideal, but they are expensive. I pace out from my tree in one direction then imagine concentric circles and pick distance landmarks as soon as I sit down.

I've been more OCD this year about practice. Currently, I shoot these huge burris paper targets (14inx20in) with 6 bullseyes on each one and shoot for groups 10 arrows at each (one at a time), 60 total. I save the paper from the shoot for comparison purposes. My best shooting is ~ 2in group at 40 yards. Let's not talk about my worst, but at 22 yards I'm shooting 59/60 in the kill zone with 20/60 in a 2x2in group, the rest are in 3inx3in pretty much.

@ 50 yds I put 21/24 in a 6inx3in group 6in was width.

In general, I'd say shoot paper and shoot a ton then you'll know your capabilities. There are a couple android apps that make it real easy to track if you shoot FITA targets or feel like translating (or can't afford paper haha).

Lot of people on forums/boards drive me nuts when they talk about this - they say they stack arrows at 20 yards or shoot a dime size target or do whatever with whatever bow combo that far exceeds olympic class shooting (target bows with 4 ft stabilizers). I've had hot streaks of 1in groups at 50 yds with 4-5 arrows, but not session after session and not on cold shots. 1in group per 10 yards, so 3in at 30 4in at 40 is real good (with 20 arrows min, but ideally the more the better and day in/day out)

Haven't even mentioned your ability to judge how a deer is acting/will react and experience but that's huge too, nerves and all that stuff. No easy formula.

My ideal shot is 25 yard though just in case I make a noise when I'm drawing I like a tad more distance.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:59 am

My hunting set-ups are tailored to my comfortable range zone. Don't have a set-up, that will force you to take a shot you're not comfortable making. However far that is. I like my set-ups to be no more than 30 yards. Everyone's comfort zone is different! Just because you have a longer effective range, it doesn't mean you practice harder than anyone else.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:23 am

I can confidently shoot 30 yards, but been consistently killing everything under 20 yards which is nice and I like to keep it that way. Keep in mind real close shots can be bad ones too. I learned that lesson three seasons ago. I thought using a 20 yard pin for a 12 yard shot would be no problem. Just aim a little low, right? Wrong! I ended up still hitting way high on the deer. Terrible shot followed by a poor blood trail. The shot was fatal though. Ever since, I like to practice on the 10-15 yard kiddie-lane targets at the shooting range every now and then.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”