Prep

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

Prep

Unread postby Jrichard » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:50 am

Okay so the opener is in 6 days for me. I was running through the threads and saw the "Honey Do's" and the "What you pack out to your stand".

Now a little spin off from that, what are the main things you guys make sure are all in line before the season starts?

rbuckleyjr1
500 Club

Re: Prep

Unread postby rbuckleyjr1 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:58 am

Wash clothes, change out batteries, sharpen knife, pick up snacks/ gas up truck, double check LW straps/ safety harness, check weather/ Wind direction, shoot bow, pre-set coffee maker etc. Just some of the basic stuff.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:03 am

My gear has been all packed up and ready to go for 2 weeks now. I usually go thru my stands and harnesses over the winter to make sure everything is ready. Shooting is a year round thing for me so no last minute worries about that.

Reviewing maps and scouting notes is really my main focus now along with following the weather and wind forecasts to narrow down where to hunt each day as they get closer.

I'm ready to grab my stuff and go..........just waiting for next Saturday.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:14 am

Top of the list for me is to make sure that all of your weapons are sighted in. I hunt rifle for bear, crossbow for archery, shotgun, and ML seasons. By this point all have been checked for accuracy at the range. I am always shocked to see how many people do not verify their weapons before the season. I work hard for my opportunities To drop the ball at the moment of truth.

Other than that I touch up my blades on the strop and set up my early season pack and I am good to go.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:37 am

I make sure to buy a license. Sharp broadheads, extra batteries for GPS, spare flashlight and a broadhead target in the vehicle.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
vermonthunter16
500 Club

Unread postby vermonthunter16 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:42 am

I get everything all set through the preseason so I just ensure I have everything needed and then I don't change a thing. I like to pretend like the next day is going to be just another day, that way I can get some sleep!
-Rick
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:52 am

One thing I really make sure of is that my bow is fine tuned and sighted in.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:03 am

I've been prepping my gear all summer! Shooting my bow basically all year. Practicing going up & down the tree (sticks/stand), even in the dark. New batteries in the flashlights. Prepping my clothes. Waiting is the toughest part!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”