Who holds the bow while in the stand?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Who holds the bow while in the stand?

Poll ended at Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:07 pm

1. Yes
51%
2. No
49%

Total votes: 55
tim
500 Club

Re: Who holds the bow while in the stand?

Unread postby tim » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:33 am

I never hold it unless im shooting.

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:34 am

I marked yes as I do tend to hold my bow most of the time during prime time...... I do hang it up some but I am usually holding it. Course mine doesn't weigh much either.
Upper Iowa

Unread postby Upper Iowa » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:44 am

Hold it during prime time & for as long as I can stand it afterwards, then hang it up.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:20 am

Stanley wrote:Never hold the bow until I need it. I think hanging the bow gives you some mental distraction when the buck appears. Gives you something to do rather than just plain panic at seeing the buck.

That's a really good point.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Hatchetman

Unread postby Hatchetman » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:41 am

I always hang my bow, but the one thing I have stressed to my two sons or anyone asking for advice is never become complacent when you hang your bow.

To me, a cardinal sin is not getting up and grabbing your bow when you see a deer coming, "ANY" deer.

I've been burned a few times when I was a youngster by thinking " Ahw , It's only a doe and a fawn I don't want to shoot them anyway" so you sit there and watch them as they approach. till they get about 15 yds. away and then.... You here a twig snap and here comes Mr Big. Now your sitting down bow is still hanging, you got deer right underneath you and you can't get move while this big buck is coming your way and looking your way.

You are SOL.... and will be kicking your own backside for being so dumb!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:55 am

Hatchetman wrote:I always hang my bow, but the one thing I have stressed to my two sons or anyone asking for advice is never become complacent when you hang your bow.

To me, a cardinal sin is not getting up and grabbing your bow when you see a deer coming, "ANY" deer.

I've been burned a few times when I was a youngster by thinking " Ahw , It's only a doe and a fawn I don't want to shoot them anyway" so you sit there and watch them as they approach. till they get about 15 yds. away and then.... You here a twig snap and here comes Mr Big. Now your sitting down bow is still hanging, you got deer right underneath you and you can't get move while this big buck is coming your way and looking your way.

You are SOL.... and will be kicking your own backside for being so dumb!!

I agree. Any deer comes in I am ready to shoot especially during the rut as bucks seem to show up out of nowhere during the chase phase.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:30 am

Yes!!! I've been paranoid about it ever since the first chance I got my very first season. My bow was on my lap. Never got it into shooting position.

Once I started shooting a compound I always had carpet on my stands. Even just a small piece on my newer metal ones. I would put the lower wheel or limb tip of my recurves on the carpet. Then kinda lean on the bow at certain times for comfort. Holding it on or near the top.

I usually stand for the last half hour. Usually holding my bow by it's handle.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”