Advice on Hunting Style: Warren Womack

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Scout237
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/joshua.mann.142

Advice on Hunting Style: Warren Womack

Unread postby Scout237 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:08 pm

1st year bow hunter. I'm looking to fill the freezer this year. Ill kill doe's all day.

Saw Warren Womack's post on his hunting style ( http://outdoorcore.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9190 ) it intrigued me.

I haven't had much time to scout due to family/work.

How to go about walking around the woods with a topo map and finding feeder trees or high probability areas to hunt? I feel like I would be bumping deer all day doing this. Some questions I have is Times of the day to begin hunt, elevation and terrain features I might cruise/avoid. Things to look for that will lead me in the right direction.

I was going to use rubber boots and bellow pecan smoke on them to cover my scent while I walk. Will this work?

What do you guys think about this style for a guy who's new and doesn't have a lot of time/experience to scout pre season?

<DK>
500 Club

Re: Advice on Hunting Style: Warren Womack

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:48 pm

I just want to point out this guy is starting his archery life in 2016 using a recurve. The man deserves a hand :clap: :clap:
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:50 pm

Way to go!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
monkatopaints

Unread postby monkatopaints » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:32 pm

You can definitely harvest a lot of young deer stalking and following their tracks from food source to bedding areas. It's a lot of fun and one of the most exciting way to put meat in the freezer. Bring a doe grunt and make your way back to likely bedding areas. Go slow and call often. You'll most likely call in young bucks and fawns majority of the time. I would only hunt like this in an area that I don't plan on going back the rest of the year. Once you go back there and hunt in this manner, you will undoubtedly ruin the spot. Deer will not bed there anymore.

Mature bucks watch and keep tabs on doe family groups. You'll most likely bump one and not even know it.
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:33 pm

First key to this style of hunting seek areas with average to above average deer densities.

Second identify preferred food sources. Maybe best to check with area biologist to help you identify these sources.

Third identify when these sources become prime & where these sources are located. Example swamp chestnuts are prime in the first couple of weeks of Nov here & are located in low laying creek bottoms.

Fourth start checking food sources & notes which trees hold fruit or acorns. Note the location, elevation, & their proximity to cover.

Now go back & reference notes as to when these trees/browse should be a prime food source.

After this is done all that is left is in season scouting to find the absolute best food source for the given day or time frame you are hunting. In this step cover ground a lot of ground & you can do it quickly. The ground disburance under a hot tree is easily seen. When you find "that" tree or browse setup & hunt immediately.

Don't worry about bumping deer if the food source is hot they or other deer will be hitting it regularly. Hunt with your wind blowing away from the food source & away from the nearest thickest cover & forget scent control.

This method is the best I've found for killin deer.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

Unread postby Jrichard » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:56 am

Yeah I cant seem to find that "hot" tree. But I feel like its because there aren't many deer in my area. And I didnt see too many acorns on the ground. But I found one tree I think is a white oak and it had a decent amount of sign under it. So we will see. ha. Ganna try one last time tomorrow. Then my next day off 9/15/16 IS OPENING DAY!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”