What Do You Hunt For?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

What do you hunt for?

Poll ended at Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:21 am

Trophy
10%
Meat
13%
Both
77%

Total votes: 62
Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

What Do You Hunt For?

Unread postby Jrichard » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:21 am

So A few of these threads that are popping up, its been making me think. As a hunter, what do you personally hunt for? Do you have specific spots designated for meat and for your trophy bucks? Or if you don't see anything except for a few does during a sit when you're looking for that monster, do you shoot the doe just before dark?

Do you go all season hunting your trophy bucks and pass up a doe and potentially go meatless for the year? Just wondering how everyone goes about all of this.

Jrichard

Re: What Do You Hunt For?

Unread postby Jrichard » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:22 am

This year for me is about experience and meat.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:42 am

Alwasy both, hard to imagine not having a freezer full of venison at the end of the year.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:44 am

Both. I have had venison in my freezer every year since 1999 my early 20s. Would feel weird not to have meat in the freezer. Usually take a doe for this reason
[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Last edited by Hawthorne on Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:51 am

Both, but I will save my better buck areas for bucks only.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:14 am

Meat for me.vanything else is a bonus.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Razorhead

Unread postby Razorhead » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:38 am

I would feel very blessed to kill a nice adult doe early in bow season for the freezer. Of course it is always exciting to harvest a buck with a bow and I have enjoyed taking many over the years. However, I've never considered myself a trophy hunter and at this point of my bowhunting career, I probably never will. I am very particular about the field care of the meat of any animal that I harvest.

He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my sole.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:44 am

Both, but meat is most important at the end of the day...I spend a lot of time and energy after what I see as a "trophy" but it is still about the meat. I can say that because to fill the freezer I would shoot a basket rack, or hopefully a doe, on the last day in a heartbeat, and have done that.

I probably would not hunt *most* game animals if the meat could not be used...other than in circumstances of nuisance or population control anyway.
Jrichard

Unread postby Jrichard » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:49 am

JoeRE wrote:Both, but meat is most important at the end of the day...I spend a lot of time and energy after what I see as a "trophy" but it is still about the meat. I can say that because to fill the freezer I would shoot a basket rack, or hopefully a doe, on the last day in a heartbeat, and have done that.

I probably would not hunt *most* game animals if the meat could not be used...other than in circumstances of nuisance or population control anyway.

Yeah I phrased that question poorly lol. I just meant exactly what you said. I just was not sure if people would pass up meat in the freezer to wait for a trophy. And if they never got that trophy if they were okay with losing out on a full freezer.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:52 am

I can buy meat at the store. I'm a head hunter. No reason to go round the mulberry bush. I have on occasion given my deer meat to a needy family. They don't get the horns though.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:04 am

Stanley wrote:I can buy meat at the store. I'm a head hunter. No reason to go round the mulberry bush. I have on occasion given my deer meat to a needy family. They don't get the horns though.

:lol: Love the honesty!
I hunt for the quiet... just to get away. Something mystical about the flight of an arrow too... I live for it

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
vermonthunter16
500 Club

Unread postby vermonthunter16 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:09 am

Mostly meat.
-Rick
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:53 am

Both but I have passed up on meat waiting for bigger horns. Haven't shot a doe in many years. I hunt for the thrill of seeing big bucks and don't always connect so some years I end up having to buy my meat at the store. Luckily the last 3 years I put two bucks and a bear in my freezer to hold me over. Nothing better than wild game meat that you killed and processed yourself.
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:32 am

I start the season looking for monsters and halfway into the first hour I start getting itchy fingers. I'm learning to control this. They say the first step is admitting you have a problem.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:11 am

Both also. I do generally hold out for a nice buck but if I'm low on deer meat I shoot does. If I don't fill a tag that's ok with me though. I just love spending time outdoors.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”