No Access

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

No Access

Unread postby Jrichard » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:03 am

So I am wondering how BEASTS go about this type of a situation.

So in one of my spots, I was scouting, and I came across a spot that I have so ignorantly been walking by for the past year and a half. I hunt a piece of public land that is bordered by a farm to the South, and a house with old farming fields to the East. Now the border of both the farm and the house has a rock wall with barbed wire that seperates public land from the two pieces of private property. Also the house to the East has a little swamp/pond that is kind of down in a gully.

During the Rut last year a sat about 200 feet or so off of the barbed wired fence that separated me from this swamp. In one sit I saw a couple bucks come to this watering hole, and stop about 10 or 15 yards away from the barbed wired fence. It seemed as though when they realized that they could not get over it very easily they walked back up the hill on the south side of the swamp and vanished. Now I was scouting for Oak trees and I came across a bunch of undergrowth that had a bunch of scat underneath them. When I looked over to the rock wall I noticed this GAPING hole. No barbed wire fence in sight either. Now I feel like this might be a good spot to set up and hunt because just on the public land side there is a hill that the Does like to bed on all the time. And I used to have a trail camera in this are and the deer kept coming from the left side and heading towards that hill where they bed (to the right). But I figured it would be the other way around, the doe just 3 or 4 months ago used to walk right to left. But as time went on and antlers began growing the deer were walking left to right from the swamp side over to the hills. And the 5 or 6 does I get on camera all still walk Right to left. But I was still confused as to how these deer were getting over this big barbed wired fence.

Then I found this break in the wall that lined right up with the deer's line of travel from the swamp to the hills. Now what I am getting at is, I am here trying to figure out what winds to hunt my spots on, but I don't have access to the side of the wall that these deer are coming from. So IDK where they are coming from and where they are bedding on that side. What would you guys do? I am going to post some pictures of what this area looks like. I just am unable to put boots on the ground on the other side of this wall. But other then that I feel like this may be a good place to sit. What do you guys think?

This is the break in the wall.

This is the undergrowth that I am pretty sure they walk through. They walk through there, cross a small horse path, and then drop down into the thick hillside to bed. ALOT of daytime pictures of bucks right behind me. I just do not have enough time to set up a camera and get a good reading on this spot before the 15th.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: No Access

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:07 am

Put a sit where you have a sight advantage without disturbing the area.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Jrichard

Unread postby Jrichard » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:34 am

Its just hard because this is at the very top of a hill. So the only way to see is to go up the hill and if I climbed the first tree at the top of the hill, I would only be about 50 or 60 yards from that opening. And my stink would be going down the hill into that swamp.
Jrichard

Unread postby Jrichard » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:35 am

Oh wow I am so sorry, I didnt mean to post this 3 times. My work computer is kind of glitchy.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:59 am

Deer are lazy; just like people. They will cross rock walls at low spots instead of jumping them. It's the same with barb wire fences. If you want them to jump the fence in a particular place you can tie down the top wire to the wire below it creating a low spot. They will find it and use it..

With the drought we are having here this year I expect that water sources will be a bigger factor than usual. Especially if we continue to get unseasonably warm weather once the deer are in their winter coats.

Do you have the room to get on the other side of the hill where the watering hole is and let the watering hole suck your scent down to it in the evening?

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Jrichard

Unread postby Jrichard » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:50 am

I don't think so, I think the top of the hill that I have access to is too far from the watering hole for the thermals to suck the scent down. But I have a feeling these deer usually hit that watering hole and walk up the hill a little ways on the private land and move to public to the public land through that hole in the wall. So if they cut my scent down there they pprobably wont end up going up that hill towards me. Just my thinking though.

As far as getting to the water itself, I cant its all on private land. But its nice because there is an oak tree dropping white oaks literally 10 feet away from the water, and that is on the public land side. So hopefully I get some deer that are thirsty and hungry lol.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:26 pm

I think that you are going to be off to a great start this season.

10 more days.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:36 pm

Ah, yes, stone wall bar ways in the middle of the woods! Most Midwesterners have never seen a 300 year old stone wall in the middle of the woods. Like has been said before, deer are lazy and will take the easiest route. Many deer have been killed passing through a stone wall bar way.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”