Out of state advice

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Peeps22
500 Club

Out of state advice

Unread postby Peeps22 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:27 am

Alright so a buddy and i are out of state hunting right now and have been scouting since wednesday morning when we got out here. Season opens today at noon but out of about the 450 miles we put on scouting we've only located 4 shooters. Its been tough just seeing deer in general.

We havent seen 2 of the bucks since wednesday morning. We saw one of the shooters two nights in a row now. Were going to give it a go tonight on that buck but we're also thinking about packing up and relocating to a different part of the state.

Talking with locals, and looking at past years deer harvest records, were right in the heart of the best counties but that doesnt always mean its the best hunting.

There is good cover around the area, were just not seeing the deer/bucks we were hoping for.

Relocate and start new?

Or

Hunt cover around here and hope to start seeing more deer in the cover?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

vermonthunter16
500 Club

Re: Out of state advice

Unread postby vermonthunter16 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:30 am

Hunt the cover, check some aerials and topos before so you have some sort of idea before you head in.
-Rick
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:37 am

4 shooters in 2.5 days isn't great but it isn't all that bad either. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

What has your scouting consisted of? Mostly glassing from the vehicle? I have never hunted ND but have spent a lot of time in SD. Similar if not the same terrain. If I know one thing about hunting out there its you need to get out of the truck.

I'm sure you're driving designated field roads and maybe grassland trails, but that most likely won't cut it IMHO. I'll wait for a response before I talk your ear off lol

Just curious if you're in eastern, central, or western ND. That'll help me help you. Pm me the answer if you want.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:20 am

Looks like a nice mixture of swamp and ag in your area. I tried uploading the public land map but received "an error occurred" message. I'll use my desk top tonight when I get home and try and help you out. With the low population of that city and not much in the vicinity I don't think you're wasting your time there at all. Keep in mind the further you get from those populated cities, the better off you are. Lazy hunters don't like to drive far or walk far.

New areas can be tough, but what I would look for is the biggest public tracts with poor access. Most ND and SD rifle hunters don't go much more than a mile from their vehicle.

I would concentrate on the swamp and riverbottom land. As always you have to go where other people don't want to go. Being in position right at daybreak to observe suspected bedding is where I would start. If you watch a shooter head into a swamp in the morning, then get after him that night.

Target river oxbows, islands in cattails, peninsulas, etc.

If the beans are turning don't ignore the corn fields. It's not too early for that... They're hitting corn in my part of MN. Some of that stuff look like it's lacking trees. I have a diagram in "success from the ground" (in best all time tactical) showing how I make a ground blind in standing corn. Might be a good way to hunt those swamp edges.

Cyber scout your but off and scout with a plan. Don't just head to a spot and hope to see something at daybreak.

Also we find lots of deer in the CRP fields out there. They'll follow those low spots trying to stay out of sight.

Bottom line is I think you're in a good area... You've seen shooters. Definitely try and put something together on that buck you've seen a few times already.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”