Private Land Round 2

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

Private Land Round 2

Unread postby Jrichard » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:53 am

Okay so I acquired permission to hunt this private land in RI and I will tell you, last year I wanted to throw in the towel when it came to hunting. Now this is a big piece of woods, and to the right side of the aerial view the piece is really big, but it bottle necks down to this little field. Now I used to hunt in this gulley because my trail cameras showed that the deer lingered in this area while waiting for the sun to go down. When september came around and I went out and hunted it I spooked one deer out of the thicker brush. Other than that I never saw another deer in here again.

Then around the end of september, I began to hunt this spot more. And EVERY time I hunted it from beginning of Oct to November, these deer would be out in that field. Now I was much further down toward the opposite end of the field, but my friend and I knew they liked to stage there before heading out to the field. Now yesterday I walked the field and jumped into the woods and took a look. This is what I saw.

This imagine is what I saw when I walked about 100 yards into the woods from the field. I looked under those big pine trees, I could not find any beds but there are MASSIVE amounts of scat old and relatively new in there. (with this humidity and heat, I can never really tell how fresh the scat is.)

This is a good pile of Poo I found when walking the outskirts. This was not through the big pine trees, this was going right through the smaller pine trees on the outskirts. It didnt look like a main run but it looks like its used pretty often.

This is just the overview of the land. To the right is the main body of the land, and there are houses that boarder on that side. Then it bottle necks to the right, and then there's the field. Both sides are cut off by roads. And I was hunting further down in the bigger area.

Now I plan on hunting about 50 to 100 yards into this area. This would put me about 100 yards away from the thick trees depicted in the first picture. Any other suggestions as to what I should do?

Like I said last year they were out in the field every time I left. I usually park on the road on the north side of the land because its not a main road like the southern road and I have to drive around the field and I saw them every time. Not to mention, the if you look closely everything is all pretty much pine trees with a few hardwoods mixed in. So I feel like in this area there primary food source is going to be that field.

Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

Re: Private Land Round 2

Unread postby Jrichard » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:24 am

burkhart wrote:there is a good transition to the north and east of that house.

Yeah unfortunately I dont have access to that area. Publicland on the other side of that top road starts about 100 to 200 yards to the right of that house.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”