I am Going NUTS

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

I am Going NUTS

Unread postby Jrichard » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:39 am

So yesterday I went out to one of my spots to do a little oak tree hunt. Well lets say I got skunked (it reminded me a lot of deer season last year haha). I did find some acorns and they were all green. VERY green. Now when I used my binoculars to look up at the tree, NONE of the trees were producing. (I found 1 or 2) and I still couldn't tell if they were white oak trees or red. I know if you look at the leaves you can see that white oak trees have rounded "fingers" and Red oak trees have pointy fingers. But this year was a crazy gypsy moth season for us. The caterpillars ate EVERYTHING. So when you look at the leaves on any oak tree they all look like red oak trees cause of the teeth marks.

So does anyone have any helpful INFO on how to tell them apart when you find them on the ground? The deer seem to scooping them and the grapes in my area right up. I found about 12 nuts and 1 grape. Also does anyone have any good reads on oak trees in the North East. Wanna pinpoint this asap.

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Re: I am Going NUTS

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:47 am

Red Oak Acorn

White Oak Acorn

Pretty easy to see the difference. The caps are quite distinct on each one.

White oak leaves are much more rounded than red oak. Red oak are very pointy in comparison. Deer prefer white oak over reds, not as bitter.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:10 am

Awesome post mainebowhunter. Here is a pic I keep w on my phone. Obviously you take what you have and can find, but I always look for the leaves that are round look like fingers. I did not pick these like mainebowhunter.... :lol:
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:27 am

White oak bark is lighter in color and scaly. Red oak is darker and more smooth. Bur oak has more ridges than white oak and the cap of the acorn covers the whole nut. I have seen deer ravage all three. Bur oak is part of the white oak family. They prefer the whites over the Reds do to less bitterness

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:33 am

Darkknight54 wrote:Awesome post mainebowhunter. Here is a pic I keep w on my phone. Obviously you take what you have and can find, but I always look for the leaves that are round look like fingers. I did not pick these like mainebowhunter.... :lol:

I did not pick them either. :D
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:36 am

Darkknight54 wrote:Awesome post mainebowhunter. Here is a pic I keep w on my phone. Obviously you take what you have and can find, but I always look for the leaves that are round look like fingers. I did not pick these like mainebowhunter.... :lol:

Funny, but your red oak leaf looks more like a maple leaf.
Red oak leaves typically look more like this.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:45 am

That's how ours look also Maine. Secluded oaks are near bedding are about has good has it gets here. I use to hunt a farm there was 3 mature red oaks right on the edge of a good sized thicket. Every year they produced rubs and scrapes would pop up in the area. I shot 3 bucks from that spot one was 4.5 year old 6 point with a 18 inch inside spread with great mass. Someone else claimed that spot and I never hunted there again.

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:12 am

Hawthorne wrote:That's how ours look also Maine. [glow=red]Secluded oaks are near bedding are about has good has it gets[/glow] here. I use to hunt a farm there was 3 mature red oaks right on the edge of a good sized thicket. Every year they produced rubs and scrapes would pop up in the area. I shot 3 bucks from that spot one was 4.5 year old 6 point with a 18 inch inside spread with great mass. Someone else claimed that spot and I never hunted there again.

No kidding. Very interesting. So the eastern oak leaves have more in common with the Pin Oak leaf. The picture I posted is what our Eastern red oaks looks like.

I am ALL about it this year :D From the first time I realized it was going to be a heavy acorn year, my attention and cameras have been focusing on the nuts. Cameras that show very little movement on them and expect to explode any day. Patience is a virtue :o
Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

Unread postby Jrichard » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:17 am

I was looking at the nuts on the ground (not many) but they were all green. So not quite ripe and ready to go. But they all looked the same. If they are green and have a small cap they are red oaks? And if they are white oaks they are smaller and the caps cover most of the nut when they are still ripening correct? I'll tell you what, I have no idea how you guys look high in the tree and look to see if the crops your getting is big because I got a nice set of binos and looking that far up is toughhh lol. I think I am going blind.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:30 am

This is a good primer on acorns:

http://bowsite.com/bowsite/features/arm ... corns.html

You can print or save the pictures or the guide to your phone for a handy reference.

You might see some persimmon in your area as it is the edge of their range.

http://www.pursuithunting.com/2007/09/t ... immon.html

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:40 am

mainebowhunter wrote:
Funny, but your red oak leaf looks more like a maple leaf.
Red oak leaves typically look more like this.

:lol: Gary Fewless (copyright) is the guy you want to take that up w. Darn it Gary, :lol: you had one job!
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:42 am

Horizontal Hunter wrote:This is a good primer on acorns:

http://bowsite.com/bowsite/features/arm ... corns.html

You can print or save the pictures or the guide to your phone for a handy reference.

You might see some persimmon in your area as it is the edge of their range.

http://www.pursuithunting.com/2007/09/t ... immon.html

Bob

Great post man, I like that priority chart is shows. Very informative Article about persimmons! Aside from a great spot to hunt deer, they are a good treat for the stand in oct
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:33 pm

White Oak

Red Oak

csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:35 pm

Tons of Red Oak acorns here, but I've only found one producing White Oak.

vermonthunter16
500 Club

Unread postby vermonthunter16 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:14 pm

It can be difficult to tell when the pests start chowing on the leaves. Check out Virginia Tech's website, they have a great Dendrology fact sheet section.
-Rick

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”