Understanding deer trails

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Re: Understanding deer trails

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:28 pm

jwilkstn wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:Depends on the heavy trail. If its a heavy trail that runs through a pinch, big bucks will use it during the rut. Killed one of such a trail this past season, right on the trail. He was the second 4.5+ yr old that I saw use this trail in a couple weeks. Multiple bucks and does used it. Again, it was a funnel.

Here in Maine, watch a few of them. But typically, the trails are there because the terrain forces the issue. Just hung camera on a trail this morning. Came close to killing a buck on this trail last mid October at 9:00 am. Many times the trail is only for a short distance where it goes through terrain and then disperses. And many times, the spots I am hunting, majority of deer that are using it are bucks, very few does.

What I always find fascinating about trails...put a camera on them. Many times, the deer do not use them nearly as much as they look like they have been used.

Do you think it's possible that's because they've been used for years and years?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Absolutely. Take this trail for instance, took a photo of it yesterday. This dumps out of a bedding area. Ran a camera on it for a few months. Deer were using it on a daily basis. Both mature bucks and does.

This was a run I was going to hunt around. At the head of the trail, 60yds from some beds, there is a 4' ground scrapes. There are also rubs on the sides of the run. Basically the terrain funnels the deer here through this ravine and over the brook.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”